Daily Dish Pro: Align Header Left at Top of Page

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Daily Dish Pro: Align Header Left at Top of Page

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  AC 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

akjones

Another question here about the header on Daily Dish Pro. :-) I have a logo that is 400×80 but instead of having it float in space in the center of the page I’d like to align it to the left on the very top of the page and then have the menu displayed to the right of the logo…sort of like what you see on this website: http://byregina.com

Is this possible without too much fuss?

Thanks!
    Amanda

AC
    Blocked

Well, it looks like they have disabled the Header Right Widget area in the functions.php:

//* Unregister the header right widget area
    unregister_sidebar( 'header-right' );

If you remove that code, it will reactivate Header Right in the Widget area and then you can add a custom menu up there. It should push the logo/text over to the left.

Then give the header right some styling:

.site-header .widget-area {
        float: right;
        width: 820px;
    }

You will have to play around with it since I don’t have a working demo of this yet.

akjones

Thanks @anitac!

I was able to add a Header Right widget exactly like you described but I still can’t seem to figure out how to get the logo/header to float over to the left.

I tried changing

.site-header {
    	padding: 80px 0;
    	text-align: center;
    }

to

.site-header {
    	padding: 80px 0;
    	text-align: left;
    }

but that didn’t work. :-(

http://www.amandakjones.com/

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  akjones.

AC
    Blocked

Do you have a “no right click” plugin or code activated on there? If so, please deactivate.

akjones

Yes I did @anitac! Should be taken care of now…

AC
    Blocked

Ok, going back over there now. Be right back.

AC
    Blocked

Do this first for me. Change this 820px to 420px and save it so I can get the right code for the left to respond.

.site-header .widget-area {
        float: right;
        width: 820px;
    }

akjones

done!

AC
    Blocked

Ok, right below that code you just changed, add this:

.title-area {
        width: 400px;
    }

Sorry, it’s a bit challenging for me adding everything back in there.

AC
    Blocked

Oh, replace that with this:

.title-area {
        float: left;
        width: 400px;
    }

akjones

No worries…I appreciate the help! OK, header looks good now, making progress! Right menu still seems lost in space…

akjones

Oh, and not to throw a monkey wrench into our plans but I was also hoping to put a search bar to the right of the menu…should I try adding to that to the widget now?

AC
    Blocked

You didn’t get my last message – add float: left to the code. Scroll up above your message. If you do that, then you need to increase the width of from 420px to something higher and then target the search and float it. I’ve actually been playing around with this theme here. Haven’t done what you are asking for with it yet though.

akjones

OK, yes just changed it…thank you! I will tinker around with it a little bit more but you definitely have me going in the right direction now. What exactly do you mean when you say “target” the search box?

AC
    Blocked

When you add the search box, if you look at the code with a developer tool such as Firebug for Firefox, or the Chrome developer tool – you will see that the box has an ID – Search-1 or Search-2, something like that. You will add that to your style sheet and code it in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.