Decor Home Page, Add slider and home widgets – Need help Carrie Dils.

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Decor Home Page, Add slider and home widgets – Need help Carrie Dils.

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  lisa.burgess 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

lisa.burgess
    Participant

Hello,

I love what Carrie Dils did with the Decor theme, adding home slider and widgets on this site: http://baerhomedesign.com/

I want to do the very same thing on a web site I’m currently working on and wondering if Carrie might share what was done to update the theme.  Did you do this by creating home.php?  Genesis responsive slider?

If you’d like to share, that would be awesome!

Thanks,

Lisa

http://gwyncareginn.com/wp/

cdils
    Participant

Hey Lisa,

Thank you and glad you liked! Short story, I am using home.php – If memory serves, I “borrowed” a lot of code from the Associate theme’s home.php in terms of the layout and registered those extra widgets.

And you’re right about Genesis responsive slider.

Sorry I don’t have time to give a more comprehensive answer at this moment, but wanted to give you some starter info. I’ll get back later this weekend with more.

Cheers,
    Carrie

Have you been helped in this forum? Pay it forward and answer someone else’s question. I bet you’ll know the answer to at least one question. :)

I tweet @cdils.

cdils
    Participant

Ok, I’m back. :)

You’ll need to do three things:

1) Register the widget areas you want to use on the home page.
    2) Create the custom home page (home.php)
    3) Add CSS to style those widget areas accordingly.

—–

So, register these widget areas (if your theme doesn’t already have them):

• featured
    • home-middle-1
    • home-middle-2
    • home-middle-3
    • home-bottom-1
    • home-bottom-2

If you’ve never registered a new widget in a Genesis theme, just do a Google search for it and you’ll find tons of tutorials.

Next, you’ll need a custom home.php that calls in those widgets. Here’s the code you can use:

https://gist.github.com/cdils/5430682

Finally, you’ll need to customize your stylesheet to style those widgets. The featured widget is 100% wide, the home middle widgets are each approximately 33% wide, and the home bottom widgets are 50% wide.

Go get your customization on!

Carrie

Have you been helped in this forum? Pay it forward and answer someone else’s question. I bet you’ll know the answer to at least one question. :)

I tweet @cdils.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  cdils.

lisa.burgess
    Participant

Awesome! thanks carrie. Going to try this today.

Lisa

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.