Decor theme – modify date showing

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Decor theme – modify date showing

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  foodiesplace 1 year ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

foodiesplace
    Participant

Hi, I’d like to use the Decor theme to showcase some of my upcoming events.
    I like the design and the the date showing big over the pictures, however I believe that is the date the post was created.
    I would like, instead, to, let’s say, create a post today to advertise/inform my followers of an upcoming event a month from now. The big date would be a great plus.

Thanx

Valentina

blogjunkie
    Participant

That’s going to need a plugin like The Events Calendar or WP Events Plugin. This will allow you to create Events and list upcoming ones on a separate page.

If you want to display your Events in your regular blog stream, that will require some custom code. Perhaps you may try one of the developers listed here: http://www.studiopress.com/genesis-developers

WordPress evangelist, Nike runner, Apple fanboy.
    Work: ClickWP WordPress Support, Play: adventures of a blogjunkie. Talk to me on Twitter @blogjunkie

blogjunkie
    Participant

Had a little more thought into your question. Here’s how you can achieve what (I think) you want to do:

1. Install the Advanced Custom Fields plugin. Create a date field and assign it to Posts.

2. In your theme, modify the function that displays the date to check if there is a custom date. So if a date has been set with the ACF plugin, it will display the ACF date. Otherwise it will show the regular post date.

Personally I don’t like this method because you can’t differentiate Events and Posts. And I don’t like using Posts for Events in general – in my opinion that’s like calling a magazine a book. Ideally you would want to have different styling for the Events so that they don’t look the same as posts.

WordPress evangelist, Nike runner, Apple fanboy.
    Work: ClickWP WordPress Support, Play: adventures of a blogjunkie. Talk to me on Twitter @blogjunkie

anitac
    Participant

@blogjunkie that was kinda like my question/logic I posed on Twitter – using that custom date field to circumvent the actual date of the post. You techy’s are great!

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

foodiesplace
    Participant

thanx blogjunkie!
    I’ll give it a try, as soon as I get my system up again. :)
    I’ll let you know how this goes.
    Cheers

V.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.