Decor theme – modify date showing

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Decor theme – modify date showing

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  foodiesplace 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

foodiesplace
    Participant

Hi, I’d like to use the Decor theme to showcase some of my upcoming events.
    I like the design and the the date showing big over the pictures, however I believe that is the date the post was created.
    I would like, instead, to, let’s say, create a post today to advertise/inform my followers of an upcoming event a month from now. The big date would be a great plus.

Thanx

Valentina

blogjunkie
    Participant

That’s going to need a plugin like The Events Calendar or WP Events Plugin. This will allow you to create Events and list upcoming ones on a separate page.

If you want to display your Events in your regular blog stream, that will require some custom code. Perhaps you may try one of the developers listed here: http://www.studiopress.com/genesis-developers

WordPress evangelist, Nike runner, Apple fanboy.
    Work: ClickWP WordPress Support, Play: adventures of a blogjunkie. Talk to me on Twitter @blogjunkie

blogjunkie
    Participant

Had a little more thought into your question. Here’s how you can achieve what (I think) you want to do:

1. Install the Advanced Custom Fields plugin. Create a date field and assign it to Posts.

2. In your theme, modify the function that displays the date to check if there is a custom date. So if a date has been set with the ACF plugin, it will display the ACF date. Otherwise it will show the regular post date.

Personally I don’t like this method because you can’t differentiate Events and Posts. And I don’t like using Posts for Events in general – in my opinion that’s like calling a magazine a book. Ideally you would want to have different styling for the Events so that they don’t look the same as posts.

WordPress evangelist, Nike runner, Apple fanboy.
    Work: ClickWP WordPress Support, Play: adventures of a blogjunkie. Talk to me on Twitter @blogjunkie

AC
    Blocked

@blogjunkie that was kinda like my question/logic I posed on Twitter – using that custom date field to circumvent the actual date of the post. You techy’s are great!

foodiesplace
    Participant

thanx blogjunkie!
    I’ll give it a try, as soon as I get my system up again. :)
    I’ll let you know how this goes.
    Cheers

V.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.