Default Commenting, Disqus or Livefyre

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Default Commenting, Disqus or Livefyre

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  anyname 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mealtog
    Participant

So do you use the default commenting (with Jetpack comments enabled), Disqus or Livefyre systems? It’s been a heated debate and for a new site, I am not sure which one to use. I have used Default and Disqus for many sites. What do you use and why?

• This topic was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  Mealtog.

nutsandbolts

I use the default WP comments. I’ve tried all the various systems – Disqus, Livefyre, Jetpack, and IntenseDebate, and all of them caused issues for different readers. Most of all, people find it annoying to have to set up an account with yet another service or sign in with their social accounts (especially since a lot of bloggers are anonymous). I used IntenseDebate the longest – it seemed to have the fewest problems – but I lost a bunch of comments during an update to the plugin and decided to get rid of it for good.

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Mealtog
    Participant

Good info Andrea. I am considering Disqus for a new site. The tools and integration really blows away the default system. I am also pretty sure I read somewhere that the Disqus plugin allows you to write to both Disqus and the WP default system so if you ever move away from DIsqus, the original comments remain with your WP install.

Anyone else struggling with this?

dannybrown

I tend to find Disqus can have issues loading when viewing via mobile, which can be a major pain.

There’s an export feature, so all Disqus comments are transferred back to WordPress, should you decide to switch off and move back to the native system. However, formatting can be a bit off, due to the @DisqusUsername in the Replies.

anyname
    Participant

I’m seeing the facebook commenting plugin used more and more on WP sites. Seems to work well. We use it on our bigger site that as a teen-20s demographic.

Disqus seems to be getting somewhat of a following as well.

In the end it’s whatever can be used to make it hard for spammers (ie seo link farmers) to create the ubiquitous ‘this post is great, I’ve bookmarked it!’ post.

S

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.