Disappearing child theme files

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Disappearing child theme files

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  DoNotFaint 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

DoNotFaint
    Participant

Would anyone know why I might be seeing this, suddenly?

Thanks, if you can help! I’m mystified.

http://DoNotFaint.com

braddalton
    Participant

Do you have a plugin installed for a custom style sheet?

Terry
    Participant

I noticed this yesterday on the first html5 enabled Genesis2.0 site after the update but didn’t have time to think too much about it. First thought was WordPress 3.6 update not Genesis. The site had been running WP 3.6 beta?

Just checked and It’s not on other sites that have been updated (html5 or not)?

The first is a very basic blog? Anyone?

Update… it’s also the only site running Jet Pack.
    Disable Jet Pack and problem solved.
    Doesn’t explain the why but always good to understand the what.

Customizing Genesis Child Themes @ MaroonTech

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Terry. Reason: Problem Solved
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Terry. Reason: Problem Solved

DoNotFaint
    Participant

A pro graphic designer did my child theme, and now I want to learn by tinkering, but I can’t even access the files. She can see them, but I can’t. I will try disabling jet Pack and get back to you! It’s been like that since before the 2.0 update, but she is just redoing the entire design for the entire site. I would like to be edit my own CSS code, though, now that I know how! But I haven’t ever been able to see the files. I sent her a screen shot, and she said ‘What?!” Oh, WordPress…

Terry
    Participant

Did go and check this. Never noticed it before this upgrade, but it’s a feature of adding Jet Pack.

There are many great components in Jet Pack. Other than testing it on some of my own sites, I don’t use it.

Best of luck with getting under the hood! Post if you have questions, it’s a great community here at StudioPress.

You may find that your user account is set to something that prohibits you from seeing those files. It can be easy to take a site down with a change to your functions.php. I do that sometimes.

Be sure to keep the lines of communication open with your designer/developer. It can get confusing having multiple people touching a site without it. She may be able to set you up with a working development area for you to play with, depending on your host account. For clients that want to learn WordPress, I give them a copy of Lisa Sabin-Wilson’s WordPress for Dummies book. It’s a great place to start.

Best of Luck!

Customizing Genesis Child Themes @ MaroonTech

DoNotFaint
    Participant

Thank you so much, everyone! I have been absolutely in communication with my designer and do not touch anything she has done. I would like to make changes, because so far, she has been working for free (long story). You’ve been so helpful!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.