Do I Need to Create a Child Theme for a Child Theme?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Do I Need to Create a Child Theme for a Child Theme?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Elizabeth Kricfalusi 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Elizabeth Kricfalusi

I’ve created child themes before, where I created a new child theme folder with a style.css and functions.php file, so that when the original theme is updated, I won’t lose my changes.

I’m starting my first site based on the Genesis Framework and I’m using the Metro Pro child theme. I obviously want to customize it, but I’m not sure if I need to make a child theme of Metro Pro or if I should be editing its stylesheet and functions file directly. Do the child themes get updated or just the framework?

Thanks for your help.

Davinder Singh Kainth
    Participant

Make changes directly in child theme files. All major updates happen in Genesis Framework theme. Child Themes rarely get updated – usually they are updated when something new or radical change happens like Old Themes were updated with new look to “Pro” themes.

Need website customization services or other Genesis / WordPress help ?
    Davinder @ Design Studio iGuiding Media | My Blog | Fresh Genesis Themes Collection

Kellylise
    Participant

Elizabeth Kricfalusi

Thanks to both of you for your quick and clear replies!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.