Do updates overwrite customizations?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Do updates overwrite customizations?

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Andrea Rennick 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jbculp
    Participant

Will a change to header height in the functions.php outlive a theme update?

Susan

@jbculp – Any changes made to a child theme (whether it be the functions file or the stylesheet) WILL be over-written if you update the CHILD theme. An update to Genesis will not over-write any changes made to a child theme.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

jbculp
    Participant

Thanks. I assume I will find a reference somewhere on how to create a functions.php that lives elsewhere in my file structure to support customizations. Otherwise I can always keep track of changes but that makes one weary.

I appreciate your help.

Andrea Rennick
    Keymaster

No, editing the child theme’s functions.php is the normal process. Genesis gets upgraded.

Child themes RARELY do and you are expected to patch those updates in or keep track of your changes.

Note this is standard practise in WordPress – not specific to Genesis or Studiopress. Just child theming in general.

**forum signature**
    If you need technical support for your theme please file a ticket.

The forums are community based. Staff only monitors the forum for issues relating to the forum itself and to redirect users to where they need to go.

Twitterholic

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Do updates overwrite customizations?’ is closed to new replies.