Do you use your subdomains? Why?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Do you use your subdomains? Why?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Fabio 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Summer
    Participant

One rough idea is: a collective of blogs/fan sites for people who collect certain items (My LIttle Pony figures, horror movie memorabilia, etc). You allow a few people to have blogs, you set up community forums for everyone else, and let them run with it, being the obsessive fans they can be :)

Anita
    Participant

@Fabio, after reading all the dialogue going back and forth, I would like to share some things with you regarding the “network” you are looking to start. I had 12 successful “networks” during 2008-2011 that did not use WordPress, but since WordPress has grown so much – it would make really good sense now to use it to start new ones. My networks were so successful that I was blogged about on the developers worldwide blog and written up in the local newspaper. By the time I shut the sites down, just one site had had over 1.5 million views. Not bad for a little local network. Those views did not include the other 11 sites. If you’d like to know more about what I did and maybe get some ideas how to get your networks going… and going well, drop me a note on my website.

When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!
    Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me!

Gary Jones

If the second site is related to the first domain, then having it as a subdomain or subfolder makes sense. If it’s unrelated, but happens to use the same WP install, then a mapped domain makes more sense.

I have garyjones.co.uk, code.garyjones.co.uk, twins.garyjones.co.uk, bsktweetup.info and genesischangelog.com (among others) all on the same network. Clearly the latter two aren’t anything to do with me or my life directly, hence the purchase and mapping of domains.

For my work site, I have gamajo.com, and I did have demo.gamajo.com, themeaudit.com and genesis.themeaudit.com (using the Networks+ plugin to get a network on a mapped domain). Again, if the subsite makes sense to be under my work brand, then it’s stays as the subdomain.

Changes in Genesis 2.1 – the ultimate guide to every single change in Genesis Framework 2.1 and 2.1.1 (all 88 of them!) | @GaryJ

Fabio
    Participant

Thanks everybody for the replies.
    @Anita, I have sent you a message.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.