eleven40 – How to Customize the Blog Post Grid

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks eleven40 – How to Customize the Blog Post Grid

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  WiggleChicken 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

WiggleChicken
    Participant

Hello . . .

I’m using the eleven40 theme and just installed the Genesis Simple Edits plugin. It’s a great way to easily customize how the post info appears under post titles. But what I do there also displays in the blog post grid.

I removed the comments link in the grid using CSS, but I don’t know how to remove the hyphen I inserted between the date and comments link.

Can I use the Simple Hooks plugin for this, or do I have to dig into the files?

Thanks!

Susan

Can you please provide a link to your site?

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

WiggleChicken
    Participant

Hi Susan!

My site isn’t public yet. But I’m using eleven40. Here’s a link to the demo page: http://demo.studiopress.com/eleven40/

The demo shows a small dot between the post date and comments link. The dot is an image. I set the CSS to “display: none” to remove this. Then, using the Simple Edits plugin, I edited the shortcodes. It now looks like this: “Posted on July 1, 2012 — Leave a Comment.”

That’s how I want it to display under each post title. But if you scroll down to the grid on the demo, the post info below the titles is exactly the same. Because of the narrow width, I only want “Posted on July 1, 2012″ to display. I was able to remove the comments link using CSS, but the hyphen still displays.

I could create an image for the hyphen and swap it with the dot image, and then just block the image in the grid using CSS. But I may change the font, size and color of the hyphen, so this would be inconvenient.

So I thought that maybe I could somehow use hooks to address this or add some code to the child functions file. But I’m really not sure how to do this. In the past I’ve just gone into the main files and did my editing there, but that’s not a good practice.

Thanks for any help you can provide with this!

Cee

WiggleChicken
    Participant

I’d love some guidance with this.

On my blog grid of excerpts, I only want the date to show. I can easily suppress the comments link with CSS, but the hyphen between the date and comments link still displays. How can I remove this without also removing it from my full posts?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.