Exceeding Hosting's CPU Usage

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Exceeding Hosting's CPU Usage

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  abexp 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

abexp
    Participant

A Studiopress Lifestyle site I’ve been developing has been getting only around 100 page views per day. Yesterday, I created a post which brought in close to 20,000 views in just a few hours. During that time, it took six or eight “refreshes” just to access ANY of my sites. Then I got this “TOS” message from Hostgator…

“Your account has been abusing CPU resources for an extended period of time. As a result all of your sites have been cached in order to ensure continued performance stability of the server. While we do limit each account to no more than 25% of a system’s CPU in our terms of service, we do not actively take actions against accounts until they greatly exceed that number, which is what happened in this case.”

There is more to the email, but I was given a list of items to help me “optimize” the website, so that it would not happen again. I’m to the item which says “check your theme”…so now I am here.

Has anyone run into any similar problem which may have been caused by a Studiopress theme? If so, what were your actions to fix the problem.

I’m also wondering if the problem was caused by merely the increase of visitors to my site. (It’s a “shared” hosting plan.)

The website causing the problem (if you want to call an increase of 100 to 20000 a problem) is “arkansasrivervalley.com”.

Much thanks for any help provided!

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Susan.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Susan.

braddalton
    Participant

Has nothing to do with the theme.

Its a server issue relating to CPU resource limits set by your host because you are on a shared server which limits server resources per installation automatically.

I’m also wondering if the problem was caused by merely the increase of visitors to my site. (It’s a “shared” hosting plan.)

Correct.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

abexp
    Participant

thanks brad! i guess, if i want a lot of visitors, i’d better start looking at other options.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.