Excerpts in Agency?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Excerpts in Agency?

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  weslinda 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

IoPT
    Participant

Hi folks,

I’m new here and gettign up to speed on the Agency theme.

I want the slider to display post excerpts.  So I set the Slider Settings to “Excerpts” and then went to the Add Post page and discovered… there’s no field to input the excerpt!  There’s a “Custom Post/Page Meta Description” field in the SEO settings but it doesn’t populate the excerpt -or- maybe it does and the slider isn’t using it.

The problem I’m trying to solve is that I want the slider text to look good and fit the space provided but don’t want every post to begin with a tiny paragraph summary.  So I wanted to craft an excerpt to fit the slider and then link to the actual content.

I really *don’t* want to have to create separate pages/posts just to populate the slider, then exclude that category from displaying everywhere else on the site.  I started going down this route and discovered there’s no option to unlink the post title from the post page and that of course leads to the dummy post I made for the excerpt.

I’m not averse to digging into the code, but I don’t want all my customizations to disappear each time the theme code is updated.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

weslinda
    Participant

Add this line your functions.php file.  This will provide your pages with the excerpt option.  Out of the box, only posts in WordPress offer excerpts.  Once you add the line below, you’ll see a new box on the Page Editor.  You may need to click on “Screen Options” in the top right corner and check the box for excerpts so you can see it.

add_post_type_support( 'page', 'excerpt' );

Loving the Genesis Life!

IoPT
    Participant

I was actually looking for excerpts on posts, not pages.  However, the advice about Screen Options got me where I needed to be.  I checked that and am now able to enter excerpt text.

Thanks so much!

weslinda
    Participant

Great. Sorry for the miss there, but glad you found the answer. Sometimes those items get hidden, and that’s the first place to look if you’re missing a box that someone is referencing.

Loving the Genesis Life!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.