Executive Theme Header Change Dimensions

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Executive Theme Header Change Dimensions

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Scott 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

colemanweb
    Participant

Hello,

I’m trying to enlarge the area allowed for the header image.  Currently it is set to 1140 x 100.  I’d like to allow any height and not have it auto-crop.  Any help would be appreciated.

braddalton
    Participant

Change the height values in functions.php (Line 17) and style.css (Line 193).
    [php]
    /** Add support for custom header */
    add_theme_support( ‘genesis-custom-header’, array(
    ‘width’ => 1140,
    ‘height’ => 100
    ) );
    [/php]

[css]
    #header {
    margin: 0 auto;
    min-height: 100px;
    width: 100%;
    }
    [/css]

colemanweb
    Participant

Thank you Brad, worked like a dream.  Is there any way to let it not crop?  If I have images that are too short, it blows them up and then crops.  Some are give or take 30 pixels either direction.

braddalton
    Participant

You might want to layer them on a background using a tool like Paint.net or GIMP if you don’t use Photoshop.

If they’re the exact same size as your settings, they should be displayed as is.

Mark Scott
    Participant

Brad, I’m having the same problem.

I have the settings in my CSS and functions.php, exactly as you’ve shown them. My header image is exactly 1140 X 100.  I can see it in the media library, but it won’t display on the pages.

If I use a smaller-sized image (all I really want is a logo 172 x 50) it gets blown up to an enormous size and I’m forced to crop it. What happended to the skip cropping option?

Any help will be most appreciated.

The site is http://www.innov8.net.au

Header text is still showing, but a header image is set.

braddalton
    Participant

I just layed a logo 172 x 50 on 1140 X 100 background using Paint.net and it worked perfectly.

Use a white or transparent background.

Mark Scott
    Participant

Brad, thanks for the quick response!

I am using a transparent background.

Here is the image: http://web.innov8.net.au:8080/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/header-logo.png

Oh, I just tried displaying it in a browser and I get an internal server error. It looks like this might be an IIS issue.

braddalton
    Participant

It should work. Check your settings under Appearance > Header and if the dimensions match your image, upload it.

Mark Scott
    Participant

It’s working now. It was a file permission error.

Thanks for your time, Brad.

braddalton
    Participant

Good stuff. Who are you hosting with Mark?

Mark Scott
    Participant

Paul, the website is a friend’s. He self-hosts and is in the process of configuring a new build.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.