Exported all Blog Posts & Reimported but image links point to old

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Exported all Blog Posts & Reimported but image links point to old

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

computerkitten
    Participant

After exporting all of the Blog posts and then Importing to a new test location as the website is being rebuilt, I used the WordPress/Tools/Export & Import tool, all of the images have the old image source link location. In other words it thinks the image is still over at the old location. Prior to the export I checked the box for saving the images.
    I don’t want to manually update all links of the images. Not sure why this is happening?

Ideas?

Thanks!!

Sridhar Katakam
    Participant

I would say you are even lucky that the images have come in in some fashion. WordPress export – import never brings images at all for me. What you can do is use a Search Replace kind of WordPress plugin and do batch replace all the old URLs with current ones.

computerkitten
    Participant

Okay so I see its a common problem then… so I don’t have any of the images at all with doing this Export/Import of Posts only. So what do I do in that case?

Thanks!!

computerkitten
    Participant

So maybe just manually FTP all the images from wp-content from the old site to the new site? The images are still at the old location.

Thanks!

Sridhar Katakam
    Participant

Yes.

For a perfect 1:1 copy of WordPress sites incl. images, I use BackupBuddy.

computerkitten
    Participant

I have that backup buddy but new site is all built. So I wouldn’t want to start over.
    Is there a way to use Backu buddy to backup and restore Posts only?

Thanks!

Sridhar Katakam
    Participant

Not that I know of.

braddalton
    Participant

Just backup and migrate the DB or you can use the WP Migrate DB plugin http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-migrate-db/

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

computerkitten
    Participant

Ok well I will have to FTP them I guess what a pain! Thank you much for your time!

braddalton
    Participant

I think the problem is the url’s to the images.

computerkitten
    Participant

We are just going to re-upload the images on the new site… they were not even brought over at all. I found out there are lots of people dealing with this issue and hope they have it fixed in the future. I have heard though if I was willing to export/reimport ALL (not just the posts) that the images would come over… but I wasn’t willing to deal with duplicate everything either. Thanks for all of your input!!

braddalton
    Participant

Well that’s all you need to do.

Add the images and make sure the path to the images is correct.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.