Expose Pro Theme – Display menu all the time?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Expose Pro Theme – Display menu all the time?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  SavvyJackie 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

bulldogcreative
    Participant

Hi –

I’d like to have the menu appear all the time for this theme- not just when you scroll down or have a page of a certain length. Can this be done?

http://www.hetheringtonwills.ca

kelmom
    Participant

Hello!

The way the original nav is supposed to function with this theme is that it shows up upon slight scroll of the window. So, in order to get it to stay up at the top at all times, you will need to edit this file:

wp-content/themes/expose-pro/js/sticky-menu.js

Clear out the code and copy and paste this instead:

jQuery(function( $ ){
    $(“.nav-primary”).fadeIn();
    });

Save the file.

Your nav will fade in on page load and will be visible at all times.

I hope this helps! :)

~Kellie~

bulldogcreative
    Participant

Thank you. I will try this. Much appreciated!

bulldogcreative
    Participant

Oops. Actually, spoke to soon. Made this change, but it got rid of the menu altogether (?) !

kelmom
    Participant

Hmmm… that’s strange. I tried it out and it worked for me. Your site is offline at the moment. As soon as it is back online, I will take a look and troubleshoot. :)

~Kellie~

Dan B
    Participant

Or, even better, why not just remove the JS ‘sticky menu’ feature altogether?

In your functions.php file, delete or comment out this line:
    wp_enqueue_script( 'expose-sticky-menu', get_bloginfo( 'stylesheet_directory' ) . '/js/sticky-menu.js', array( 'jquery' ), '1.0.0' );

Then, in the style.css file, locate .nav-primary and delete display:none; so it looks like this:

.nav-primary {
    	background-color: #fff;
    	border-bottom: 1px solid #eee;
    	position: fixed;
    	text-align: center;
    	top: 0;
    	width: 100%;
    	z-index: 999;
    }

And then add in the following CSS (or something similar) to your style.css file, in order to push the top of your content down (feel free to edit that 80px value to something that suits your taste):

body {
    	position: relative;
    	top: 80px;
    }

And there ya have it. We’ve removed the JS instructions, UN-hidden the menu, and pushed the page content down to make space for the menu.

Finally, if you’re really picky, and will not need that JS sticky menu in the future, head to your js folder and delete the sticky-menu.js file. It’s not necessary to make this work, but I did it. :-)

Good luck!

Dan @ ZindaMedia
    Freelance web development and design for non-profits and small businesses.

PageH
    Participant

I was trying the last method with 3 steps and the menu still wasn’t showing until the scroll down. So I went in and deleted the sticky-menu.js file, then decided to go back and restore the functions.php and am now getting this text on top of my site home page:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter – headers already sent (output started at /home/vida/public_html/criticalbydesign.com/wp-content/themes/expose-pro/functions.php:3) in /home/vida/public_html/criticalbydesign.com/wp-content/plugins/si-contact-form/si-contact-form.php on line 1950

site URL is:

http://criticalbydesign.com/

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  PageH.
    • This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  PageH.

cammunro
    Participant

Has this been resolved yet? I want to buy this theme but won’t if I can’t get that menu to appear at all times.

PageH
    Participant

I tried the second method mentioned and it didn’t work for me, so now I’m having my web support look into it. I’ll provide an update if/when it is successful.

cammunro
    Participant

Ok, sounds good, keep us posted! Sometimes (with GoDaddy and bluehost) I find using the on-site editor that WordPress provides causes these issues (I’ve had whole sites crash because of this… even though I edited things perfectly right).

To get around that I always unzip the theme to my computer and edit style.css and functions.php using Notepad++. Then I upload the files to the right folder on my site via FTP or FTP file manager on the cpanel.

cammunro
    Participant

I got it to work here: http://fitcameron.com/

Its an old project… I followed the 3 step instructions given earlier and I commented out the javascript rather than deleting it.

tfmwa
    Participant

@kelmom
    Your suggested method also removed the menu completely on my site. :)

@Dan B
    Thank you very much for posting a clear and effective way to remedy this menu ‘feature’.

I love sticky menus, but only when the menu is visible in the first place and the sticky menu appears once the rigid menu scrolls from the screen.

SavvyJackie
    Participant

Thank you for this Dan B – that worked for me. Works perfectly now.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.