Favicon

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  burnettsboards 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

stefiharr
    Participant

Hi there!  I did a search in the forum for topics on the favicon, but I don’t see where the Genesis favicon is located in order to change it.  If someone could guide me as to where it is, I’d greatly appreciate it.  Thanks so much!

Stefani :)

essaysnark
    Participant

Here’s how to load it from wp-content/images:

http://www.briangardner.com/code/load-custom-favicon/

stefiharr
    Participant

GREAT!  Thank you!!

stefiharr
    Participant

Do I add ALL of the code?

<?php

// Load custom favicon
    add_filter( 'genesis_pre_load_favicon', 'custom_favicon_filter' );
    function custom_favicon_filter( $favicon_url ) {
    	return 'http://www.mydomain.com/wp-content/images/favicon.ico';
    }

Or just this part:

add_filter( 'genesis_pre_load_favicon', 'custom_favicon_filter' );
    	return 'http://www.mydomain.com/wp-content/images/favicon.ico';
    }

essaysnark
    Participant

Good question!

Don’t include the php part, since your functions.php file will already have that at the top.

The line that begins with // is a comment so you can include that.

So, here’s what to include:

[php]
    // Load custom favicon
    add_filter( ‘genesis_pre_load_favicon’, ‘custom_favicon_filter’ );
    return ‘http://www.mydomain.com/wp-content/images/favicon.ico';
    }
    [/php]

If you have never edited one of these files before, then first, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR SERVER VIA FTP (have your login credentials and instructions handy). And, create a backup of your existing file (before you make changes), so that you can restore it, in case something goes wrong. The easiest way to do that is simply Ctrl+A (on a PC) to select the whole thing, then Ctrl+C to copy it, then paste it into Notepad or Wordpad and save it as a plain-text file.

The reason for these precautions is that a tiny error in functions.php can cause the whole site to go down, which is a scary thing indeed – but very easy to fix if you have these pieces ready. (Hope I don’t freak you out with all this – it’s not a big deal to make these changes, you just want to be prepared!)

If you get stuck just let us know!

essaysnark
    Participant

PS: The code snippet is only showing up in the fancy colors here as a way to show what each part is doing – green for comments, yellow for variable names, etc. – it’s obviously going to be just plain text (black) when you paste it into your functions.php file.

stefiharr
    Participant

Cool!  thanks so much!

stefiharr
    Participant

Woooohooo!  It worked…and it’s the cutest little favicon ever!  THANK YOU!

seanct
    Participant

Where about in the functions.php file would you load this code?

essaysnark
    Participant

@seanct, you can place that code anywhere in functions.php. However, if you’re not familiar with editing this file, then be VERY careful: One small typo can bring down your whole site. Be sure to take a backup of the file before editing, and have your FTP login instructions on hand so that you can restore it to the server if something goes wrong.

seanct
    Participant

Thanks so much, I’ll definitely make a back up just in case :)

seanct
    Participant

Ok so I tried adding the code in at the very end of functions.php and that didn’t work. Before I try again, does the image need to be named favicon.ico ?

And how exactly would I get an image to end in .ico?

Kind regards

Sean

essaysnark
    Participant

Hi Sean – yes it needs to specifically be an ICO file, named favicon.ico. You can create it in a graphics program – here’s how:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Favicon

ChristinaP
    Participant

So I just tried this and blew up my site. I deleted the code out of the functions.php file after it stopped working and saved it again and it’s giving the same error. I have restored the file (wp-content/themes/news/functions.php), and even ended up renaming the News and Genesis folders and uploading them again fresh. Same error, I can’t even get to my site or the admin page.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘;’, expecting ‘)’ in /home/content/t/y/l/tyleralex/html/kidfriendlymanitoba/blog/wp-content/themes/news/functions.php on line 111

Any idea on what to do to fix this? My site is kidfriendlymanitoba.com

thanks so much! One of the reasons I chose this theme was because of this forum and I do have some coding background, it’s been years but I usually can figure things out.

ChristinaP
    Participant

ok, ignore that. i did something to fix it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.