Featured Posts adding blank areas

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Featured Posts adding blank areas

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Chu 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Gina
    Participant

Hello,

Using Innov8tive Child Theme. When I set Featured posts on hp to display 6 instead of 3 posts, the code is adding “blanks” in between the features, which looks terrible. When I check the source I see nothing that should be causing this. I played around w/the Featured Posts settings to no avail. Does anyone know how to correct this?

Screenshot: screenshot

thank you.

David Chu
    Participant

Hi,
    It’s hard to tell exactly from a screenshot, but I have something to check. Getting CSS-floated items to line up in a pretty way is super-sensitive. Take a look at the 3 items that are there now. You’ll notice that the center one is longer than the others. I believe this is causing the next item in line to “stick” in the wrong place. I was able to replicate this in Firebug, and I fixed it by shortening the title of the center item. I took out “Try a Bagel!”. :-) The current CSS is “hoping” to have all the items be about the same height, then they float to where they’re supposed to be.

If your client insists on the longer title, you could do a CSS min-height on the items in that area, and that would fix it. It may not be desirable to do that, depending on personal taste. In any case, I’ve used this idea to “cure” many ecommerce product displays in which the title is important, or having cells in which different amounts of content are happening. It’s a classic content management problem, actually….. design battling reality.

That’s what I can see from a distance. :-)

Good luck, Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Gina
    Participant

wow – that fixed it.

I’m old school, and used to tables where this is not an issue.

thanks, Dave!!

David Chu
    Participant

Gina,
    Glad that helped! Tables are interesting. Yes, they’re very old-school, and irritating in many ways, but do they have interesting properties. I have certainly written CSS to make them behave, and have also found some CSS ways to make other elements act like tables in special situations.

I’ve been dragged into the past recently, doing some email newsletters, which, as you probably know, require HTML tables. Very bizarre, and to me, it’s perilously close to prostitution. ;)

Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Featured Posts adding blank areas’ is closed to new replies.