Featured Widget Amplified help

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Featured Widget Amplified help

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 37 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nickthegeek 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Jeffrey
    Participant

shit, the forum is effing with the code i’m posting, but the top code quote in that last one was the exact code you posted, so disregard the way it is converting the characters.

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

I don’t see a problem with that code, it could be the way it was added to the functions.php file.

Jeffrey
    Participant

thanks for replying Nick, sorry for my delay. how could it be a problem with how it’s added to functions.php? how should it be added?

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

Generally at the very end so it isn’t interfering with any other code.

Jeffrey
    Participant

thanks nick. Just tried putting it at the bottom and got this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION, expecting ')' in /home/content/J/S/D/JSDavis82/html/wood/wp-content/themes/magazine/functions.php on line 144

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

It is possible that you have some character entities. They may look like spaces or tabs to you but they don’t to PHP. Delete anything that looks like a space or a tab then manually type it back in.

Jeffrey
    Participant

Just tried that, but to no avail. :-( so frustrating. any other advice? thanks so much for your help!

Jeffrey
    Participant

BTW, got the exact same error after moving that code after re-typing. I even just tried to retype it in TextEdit and then copy and paste into functions.php, but didn’t work.

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

Jeffrey,

It would help if you could get the code to post. Try putting it in a pastie and posting a link to that

http://pastie.org

Jeffrey
    Participant

do you need the code from the entire functions.php file so you can see the line in reference, or just a section? if the latter, here’s the pastie. http://pastie.org/5479516

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

That isn’t the code that you referenced earlier. Which line in that is throwing the error?

Jeffrey
    Participant

Oooo, right you are Nick, apologies. here’s is the pastie of the full functions.php file. The error is on line 146, citing an “unexpected ‘=’”. Thanks for your help! http://pastie.org/5481130

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

for some reason you have this code in-between $post->ID
    rel="nofollow"

Jeffrey
    Participant

removing that where the code reads as follows results in the exact same error message (same line and referencing the = sign):

<code>function read_more() {
    global $post;
    $return_string = ‘<a href=”‘.get_permalink($post->ID).’”>’.get_the_title().’</a>’;
    return $return_string;
    }
    add_shortcode( ‘read-more’, ‘read_more_function’);</code>

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Jeffrey.

Jeffrey
    Participant

god i can’t get this forum to paste the code right. how do u do that? *edit: Nevermind, figured it out and edited the above post with proper code formatting.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.