Full page width slider in Lifestyle theme

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Full page width slider in Lifestyle theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  frobin 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I am a complete nube with Genesis stuff so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

I have the lifestyle theme and installed the Genesis Responsive Slider for the home page. I would like the slider to be full-width, but have a left sidebar underneath. I have already set up the layout in the theme setting and added the slider to the home page, I  have played around with the width setting for the slider but to no avail. Any tips anyone could give me would be great.

here is my site

Morag Reid

If you want the slider to be full width you’ll need to add it before the content sidebar wrap.

In functions.php in /wp-content/themes/lifestyle/ add the following code to register a new sidebar:

'before_widget' => '',
    'after_widget' => '',
    'before_title' => '',
    'after_title' => '',

Next add a function to output the sidebar:

function display_home_full_sidebar() {
    if ( !function_exists( 'dynamic_sidebar' ) || !dynamic_sidebar( 'home-full-width' ) ) {

Then add this to the correct hook to output above the content sidebar wrap:

add_action( 'genesis_before_content_sidebar_wrap', 'display_home_full_sidebar');

You can then add the slider widget to the Home Full Sidebar and style it accordingly.

Twitter: cehwitham Web: cehwitham.com

indiedog, have you tried this? I am thinking of giving it a go, if it worked for you

No, I couldn’t get it to work. The first part broke the functions.php file and frankly wasn’t 100% sure I am putting it in the correct place. After reading through the whole thing, I am confused – why would I need to add another side bar? It made no sense so I gave up. If anyone could clarify this for me, I would appreciate it.

The add sidebar function just refers to another widget area. It doesn’t necessarily mean it is a sidebar like the things that run down the side of your page.

Basically it just allows you to add a widget to an area and then output that area in a given location.

Hi there,

I finally got working on this again.  @cehwitham, thanks for the clarification, sorry, but I could just not get your code to work.

@branika, I used this method here: http://pastebin.com/7S31KHym changing it to reflect the Lifestyle theme. (ie change “agentpress” to “lifestyle”).

Onwards and upwards.

Glad you got it sorted Morag. Thanks for the feedback and link.

I just used the code mentioned by indiedog along with the link and it worked perfectly. Thank you!

Where do I add the code posted by Indiedog. Do I add it to my functions php file?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.