Full post on main page, excerpts on search/archive/category?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Full post on main page, excerpts on search/archive/category?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  aprimko 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I am running my site on Genesis with the Blissful child theme. I am trying to display post excerpts on the archive search results, category/tag pages and FULL POSTS on the main page.

Is this possible to do ? I’ve searched the forums and haven’t found a result that works for me. Changing the Content Archive settings in the Genesis menu changes all posts one way or another.

Have you checked out Bill Eruckson’s Genesis Grid plugin? It allows you to chose how many featured (“full”) posts and excerpts to have – so, you could choose 10 featured postson front page, and 10 excerpts on internal pages (for example).

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Hi Susan, thanks for your advice.

I checked out the Genesis Grid plugin, and have been playing with it for a few hours. It doesn’t do exactly what I needed, but I think I can make it work.

I set up the plugin to work only on the “blog home” option, and used a code snippet to use full length “features”, and “teasers” inherit the genesis settings for content archives which is set to excerpts.  I’m not using any teasers, since I don’t want any excerpts on my blog main page. Since the plugin is not set to work on the other pages (search/archive/tag/category pages), they just show the generic excerpts.

Ideally, I’d like to use the Grid plugin on the search/archive/tag/category pages with one featured excerpted post and several excerpted teasers in columns. I would then disable the plugin on the main page, to show only full length “normal” posts. I think what I have set up will work until I can hopefully figure out the other option.

Again, thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.