Genenis parent or child theme

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Genenis parent or child theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gary Jones 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Kristof Bernaert
    Participant

Hi, i’m new to Genesis, and testing around, but ..

Genesis looks very good behind the curtain, clean code, etc … .

As designer, I just want some more frame control in that way I can manage header, subheader footers, extra footers, subfooters, widgets etc etc … per page, or category … .
    Just getting full control over the grid.
    This plugin is a great example of it … but only for the content frame: http://codecanyon.net/item/pixgridder-pro-page-grid-composer-for-wordpress/5251972?WT.ac=portfolio_item&WT.seg_1=portfolio_item&WT.z_author=pixedelic

The rest, I’m styling with CSS.

Is there a smooth way to get control over those framework elements, and extra elements?
    Is there a specific child theme to use, but which isn’t at all preformatted in one or another style?

Thx a lot for hints and tips and your help of course, to try keeping me in this community :-)
    Grz, Kristof

braddalton
    Participant

Try the Genesis 2.0 Sample child theme

Kristof Bernaert
    Participant

Thx for hint!

and if this is the only option? Working with the parent theme and adapt via functions.php?

braddalton
    Participant

All customization should be done in the child themes functions.php and style.css files.

You can also add a home.php and page templates file to the child theme.

An easy way to do this is to use existing child theme files and code from other child themes and modify the CSS to fit your theme.

The Genesis theme files are never modified because they contain hooks and filters you use in the child theme to modify the output of existing Genesis/WordPress functions and hook in new content.

http://my.studiopress.com/snippets/

Kristof Bernaert
    Participant

Thx Brad! I think I have the picture.

In a more advanced way .. I can consider maybe a new child theme where the focus is on the grid and nothing on the css, which is to develop by the user.

Thx a lor for all info! Appreciate it.
    Kristof

Gary Jones

The Genesis theme files are never modified because they contain hooks and filters you use in the child theme to modify the output of existing Genesis/WordPress functions and hook in new content.

More specifically, the Genesis core files are never modified, because automatic updates of Genesis would wipe those customisations out.

Changes in Genesis 2.1 – the ultimate guide to every single change in Genesis Framework 2.1, 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 (all 90 of them!) | @GaryJ

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.