General SEO question: Homepage text

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks General SEO question: Homepage text

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  colkav 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

colkav
    Participant

Hi all,

These questions are specific to WordPress, but not necessarily to Genesis, and has been bugging me for a long time:

Am I correct in thinking, if a home page is made up of images, no text, this isn’t great for search engines?

If a homepage is made up of widgets, and one of those widgets includes text, does a search engine get to see that text when it crawls it?

What I’m building up to is, is the best method, for SEO purposes, to have some text on the page, as apposed to inside a widget?

Many thanks all, any insight greatly appreciated!

Colkav

nutsandbolts

You can set custom SEO keywords, title, etc. for your homepage in your Genesis SEO settings, so even if it doesn’t have text content, you can tell search engines what the page is about. You can also help that process by adding alt text and titles to the homepage images.

I wouldn’t add text just for the sake of adding text… Using the SEO settings to specify info for the homepage should be just fine. Hope that helps!

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Mealtog
    Participant

I was sure I saw meta settings for the homepage. Where is that located again in Genesis? I think I just realized why it’s not inside Genesis >> Theme Settings. I have installed the Yaost SEO plugin it overides the Genesis SEO settings.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Mealtog.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Mealtog.

colkav
    Participant

Thanks for your replies. I think, time was, you’d stuff your pages with text and keywords. I get the impression things have changed so I suppose the meta info would suffice.
    I use Yoast too, and the Genesis meta settings you mention are probably overridden / replaced by Yoast.

Still, the question remains, do search engines see the content if a pages content is made up of widgets…?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.