Genesis child themes are cool enough?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Genesis child themes are cool enough?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 23 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  William 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

thedarkmist
    Participant

Well, don’t take this post as an attack to the work of studiopress, which I really super appreciate.
    But…
    I feel there is a weak point in the Genesis Framework world, and it’s consitututed by the child theme design. I know it’s not a primary scope of studiopress to provide cool designs, but in fact this is a bottleneck in the adoption of genesis framework, since most of the child themes are too “old style” and not so cool in design. For example most of them has still a “blog” homepage even today a lot of developers uses WP for corporate websites. They have some poor functionality for mobile devices compatibility. Responsiveness is not only a metter of horizontal resizing. It’s also a matter of transformations of the menus to make them more usable in touch devices. Most of the genesis child themes are unusablethere, because of the dropdowns menu. We wrote a plugin for that http://wordpress.org/plugins/black-studio-touch-dropdown-menu/

Most of the developers now still sit on marketplaces like themeforest not for the quality of the code (in fact a lot of security issues are related to such themes, and usually they are almost impossible to customize) but for the good graphic quality and variety of designs.
    I think sells of genesis framework would increase significantly providing more cool child themes based on the same code quality and attention to customizability they have now.
    Hope I’m not the only one feeling this.
    Kind regards.

Francesco-

braddalton
    Participant

I like the mobile menu on this theme http://demo.studiopress.com/minimum/

WordPress Developer & Consultant
    Brad Dalton400+ StudioPress Tutorials & 1200+ Code snippets

eamonmoriarty
    Participant

I am inclined to agree with thedarkmist.
    Although I use Genesis for most websites these days, I find myself turning elsewhere for child themes.
    I have been somewhat disappointed that, since I purchased a developer license about 9 months ago there have been only one or two new themes and one of them was developed for Brian Gardner’s own site, I think.
    I realize that SP have been busy with development of Genesis 2, upgrading to HTML5 etc but we could do with a little freshness…

Eamon Moriarty
    EM Dzine

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  eamonmoriarty.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  eamonmoriarty.

thedarkmist
    Participant

I think the point is not really the quantity of the theme released. But the approach to the design. Even if SP would release 5 new themes per month, I think they wouldn’t be very useful if they were all blog-like or with no special attention to design.

thedarkmist
    Participant

@braddalton, try to test the dropdown menu with a touch device. It’s not properly “usable”.

David Chu
    Participant

Dark Mist,
    Excellent and important points!

Designers sometimes get into “grooves”, and if a design staff is small, that can be quite noticeable. Elegant Themes is an example of the extreme version of that – AFAIK, it’s just one guy, and even though they’re arguably cute, you can see them coming a mile away, and I now find them tiresome. Months ago there was a very brief mention of another designer-y person coming on board with Studiopress, but I’ve heard nothing since, so maybe that will yield something.

I, too, sidestep this issue because I code custom themes. I’m not a designer per se, otherwise I’d step into the breach. But I do have the luxury of just taking any nice CSS template, Genesizing it, and can readily add features like what you’re describing if I want to.

But it’s true, if one is not a coder (or won’t hire one), then you’re limited to stock themes with mild customization. It’s possible that more 3rd party theme providers will emerge, which could fill the void further.

Dave

David Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

thedarkmist
    Participant

Studiopress could have good reasons to not want to manage designs. But I think they should act a role in the stimulation of the growing of a cool community designers. The actual section of community child themes is small, not so much easy to find, and auto-managed. What if studiopress would involve designers of the world giving them a good platform to sell their designs, for example? I think that genesis coders would pay for quality child themes. They don’t have to be released for free even to plus members.

scotm
    Participant

Folks

I think it’s a worthy discussion. I also think it speaks to opportunity. Seize the day!

Brian Dusablon
    Participant

@thedarkmist – how is the Minimum theme touch menu not usable? It seems to work well for me on touch devices. How would you improve it?

thedarkmist
    Participant

On some devices (I’ve tested with android) if you touch the first link the dropdown appears for few seconds and the the first link’s page is loaded, making the dropdown links unreachable.

kelmom
    Participant

I definitely agree. The current designs aren’t bad, they’ve just become a bit boring. The current design trend is “flat — Windows 8″ type design. It feels a bit overplayed to me. Also, would love to have more custom page templates included in the design– like a portfolio, etc.

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again, if the designs kicked up a notch and additional features and functionality were added, I would gladly pay a yearly membership fee.

~Kellie~

braddalton
    Participant

You can easily add a portfolio page template to any theme.

I have written half a dozen tutorials about how to do this which includes the code which is tested and works.

Angela
    Participant

I’m a mid-level WordPress and Genesis user. When I first started, I quickly got tired of the themes here, but as I developed more skills – and found more helpful tutorials – I was able to make the Genesis themes more than just their shell.

While I think it would be great to have more themes with the customization built in, I do believe the “skeleton themes” (if you will) are important for individual creativity. It really does boil down to money and time. Many clients I’ve worked with don’t have the cash – or won’t put it out – for a superior custom design, so we work with what we have in the time allotted for the project.

I do wish there was a better way to find Genesis designers. I could never find a link here to an independent designer page (The one I did find was a bad URL.). I always found designers on their own sites. I bought a design from a wonderful designer outside of WordPress. I just happened to find her by accident. I’d like to be able to find independent designers more easily, just to have more theme options. If there is an updated URL, I’d love to bookmark it.

Angela – I write fiction, review books and get walked daily by a big dog.

braddalton
    Participant

There’s a lot of community designers building themes on Genesis.

I suggest you follow the Twitter hashtag #genesiswp and this magazine http://paper.li/TheCre8tiveDiva/1363048104

Angela
    Participant

Brad – Thanks for the link! I don’t use Twitter nearly as much as I did a few years ago, but I should start making it a top resource once again.

Angela – I write fiction, review books and get walked daily by a big dog.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.