Genesis and Responsive design in the future

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Genesis and Responsive design in the future

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wpspeak 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

netviper
    Participant

So I think I recall that in Genesis 1.9 there will be a feature to turn on and off the responsive design.  The majority of sites out there still use a 960px width, but I see with responsive most are 1140 or up.

When I do a non-responsive site, I stick the 960px width. So my question is for future themes, are they all going to be 1140+ wide and if we turn off responsive, we are stuck with a site that is wider than the current standard of 960px?  Wouldn’t that make us need to use responsive all the time, or will there still be 960px width themes?

wpspeak
    Participant

I think that all depends on the child theme you use. Although Genesis 1.9 will have the ability to turn on/off the responsiveness of the theme, that is just for the parent theme (if you understand what I mean here).

1. So my question is for future themes, are they all going to be 1140+ wide and if we turn off responsive, we are stuck with a site that is wider than the current standard of 960px?

No.

2. Wouldn’t that make us need to use responsive all the time, or will there still be 960px width themes?

Having a parent theme width 1140px width won’t magically change your child theme width from 960px to 1140px. If you understand the concept of child theme, you’ll understand what I said above. The purpose of the child theme is to overwrite whatever in the parent theme. So any changes you make like appearance in style.css or some tweaking in functions.php will overwrite any default appearance and functions of the parent theme.

Cheers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.