Genesis Featured Posts Widget to display horizontally?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Genesis Featured Posts Widget to display horizontally?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jasondavis 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

CreativeKristi
    Participant

I’m trying out the Executive Pro theme on a site and instead of featured pages I am trying to use the Genesis Featured Posts widget and show 3 across. When I put 3 in the ‘number of posts to show’ they display stacked vertically. When I use a featured posts widget and put 1 in the number of posts to show then use ANOTHER featured posts widget set at 1 they display horizontally.

There has got to be a way to show featured posts horizontally with one widget instead of using one featured posts widget per post!! Anyone know the trick? It’s not the margins, they are all set to float correctly, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I work at Creative Kristi Designs
    I play at Creative Kristi
    Affordable. Beautiful. Personal. Custom. Design for everyone.

braddalton
    Participant

You’ll need to use 3 featured posts widgets or modify the CSS code.

WordPress Developer & Consultant
    Brad Dalton400+ StudioPress Tutorials & 1200+ Code snippets

CreativeKristi
    Participant

Brad,
    Yes I know. I was asking how to do that. What is the code that I need to modify. I’ve tried different floats and margins and padding to that widget area and nothing changes them stacking vertically and not just going horizontally.

Thanks!

I work at Creative Kristi Designs
    I play at Creative Kristi
    Affordable. Beautiful. Personal. Custom. Design for everyone.

Ksunw148
    Participant

I was looking to figure this out too. I was just doing this last night and came up with the same problem. ANYONE know HOW to do it rather than telling what we need? New to Genesis and some directions (step by step) would help and be much appreciated.

jasondavis
    Participant

This is my number one “want-to-know” in Genesis right now. I need to know how to display Genesis Featured Posts in a horizontal grid much like the one I built with Catalyst Excerpts Widget on this page.

Has anyone had success doing this? I can’t for the life of me understand why they wouldn’t have designed the plugin to have the option to display vertically or horizontally from the get-go.

Thank you to any experts who can figure this out!

braddalton
    Participant

This is how i did this using the Magazine Pro theme http://wpsites.net/web-design/display-featured-posts-from-multiple-categories-inline-using-one-widget/

This solution has been tested and works on that theme however may not work on every other theme or when using a plugin for custom coding.

jasondavis
    Participant

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I can’t get them to appear side-by-side in the Dynamik Website Builder child theme. Perhaps when the site is live I’ll set up a test page and post the link so some folks with more knowledge that I can help troubleshoot if they are feeling generous.

- Jason

braddalton
    Participant

You would need to ask Cobalt Apps because its a different child theme setup.

jasondavis
    Participant

SUCCESS – Sridhar Katakam magically solved my problem of not being able to display Genesis Featured Posts in a grid horizontally across the page.

It was as easy as adding this CSS:

#featuredpoststest .entry {
    display: inline-block;
    width: 150px;
    overflow: hidden;
    vertical-align: top;
    padding: 2rem;
    min-height: 250px;
    }

Of course if you are attempting to do the same you’ll need to change the name from #featuredpoststest to whatever yours is called on your site.

Using the Dynamik Website Builder theme I created a custom conditional and widget area called “featuredpoststest” that allowed my page to display a widget area where I could place the Genesis Featured Posts.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.