Genesis Media Project – Include video in RSS Feed

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Genesis Media Project – Include video in RSS Feed

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nickthegeek 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jason Tucker
    Participant

I’m using Genesis Media Project and I’d like to have my embeded videos included in the RSS feed. What’s the best way to do this? I typically put the youtube video url in the metabox but I could see using the embed code box at some point as well. As long as either of these work I should be in good shape.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/genesis-media-project/

Jason Tucker
    Web Developer – tucker.pro & wpwatercooler.com

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

Here is a tutorial on adding a custom post type to the main RSS feed

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-add-custom-post-types-to-your-main-wordpress-rss-feed/

The post type is “video”

Jason Tucker
    Participant

Nick,

Thanks for that code above, my main focus of my question was as how I should go about getting the embed code of the video and have it be added to the content of the rss feed, the < description > block that way the RSS feed would include the embeded video.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Tucker

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

Jason,

That is more difficult. To get it to work correctly you actually need a media container. I am looking into the best way to handle this in general and will make that available in a plugin update.

Jason Tucker
    Participant

Yeah, I was looking at some of your functions and you don’t provide the ability to pass a post id so it can return the embed code associated with that post. :( The main reason for this is that I want to have the videos be embedded in the content area or add in a filter to include it in the description at the top so it shows the video content along with the post like what is done on the CPT single template.

[video]

[content]

etc…

Jason Tucker

Jason Tucker
    Participant

I’m thinking being able to do something like this in functions.php would get me where I need to be:

add_filter('the_excerpt_rss', 'gmp_single_video_content');
    add_filter('the_content_feed', 'gmp_single_video_content');

Jason Tucker

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Jason Tucker. Reason: oops
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Jason Tucker. Reason: oops

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

That should work but it doesn’t create the correct media embeds so some readers won’t like how that formats.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.