Genesis > Theme Settings > Blog Page Template

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Genesis > Theme Settings > Blog Page Template

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  timbarry 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

timbarry
    Participant

I am running Genesis 1.9 with a custom child theme.

I have a blog page and a couple of categories. I only want posts from one of those categories to show on the blog page however. I have gone into Genesis > Theme Settings > Blog Page Template and changed it to only show that particular category, but it still shows all the categories on the blog page.

I’m a bit stumped as the settings in Genesis > Theme Settings > Blog Page Template do not seem to make any difference at all – even the exclude categories one.

http://theeyesite.info/blog/

anitac
    Participant

Did you add a category “name” in the “Exclude the following Category IDs” or did you use the Category ID “number”.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

timbarry
    Participant

Hi,

I used the category ID number. Should I use the name instead?

Thanks

TIm

anitac
    Participant

No, the number. Take a look at Brad’s tutorial here – http://wpsites.net/web-design/exclude-category-posts-page/. See if this will help you.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

timbarry
    Participant

That’s what I would expect. I’ll have a look at the tutorial, thanks.

timbarry
    Participant

I’ve had a look and only one of those solutions works.

It’s a bit frustrating as I didn’t want to spend so much time trying to sort something that should have just worked as it’s a key part of the framework.

Appreciate you trying to help.

Au Coeur
    Participant

Timbarry, do you have a post page selected under Settings -> Reading? If so, try unselecting it. Sometimes that can override the Genesis settings.

Mother. Web & Graphic Designer. Lactation Consultant. Blogging about how it all fits together, most recently from northern Colorado. Visit my blog or my design site.

anitac
    Participant

Since you are using a custom child theme, can you share what your functions.php file? Did you build the custom child theme off of a another child theme?

timbarry
    Participant

Hi Anitac,

Thanks for the replies.

It’s working now. Just using the options in the Genesis settings > Blog page template > Display which category – set to news. Left the others blank.

My only other preference would be to have a different sidebar for different single templates, but this is not a big one.

Tim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.