Genesis > Theme Settings > Blog Page Template

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Genesis > Theme Settings > Blog Page Template

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  timbarry 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

timbarry
    Participant

I am running Genesis 1.9 with a custom child theme.

I have a blog page and a couple of categories. I only want posts from one of those categories to show on the blog page however. I have gone into Genesis > Theme Settings > Blog Page Template and changed it to only show that particular category, but it still shows all the categories on the blog page.

I’m a bit stumped as the settings in Genesis > Theme Settings > Blog Page Template do not seem to make any difference at all – even the exclude categories one.

http://theeyesite.info/blog/

Anita
    Participant

Did you add a category “name” in the “Exclude the following Category IDs” or did you use the Category ID “number”.

When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!
    Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me!

timbarry
    Participant

Hi,

I used the category ID number. Should I use the name instead?

Thanks

TIm

Anita
    Participant

No, the number. Take a look at Brad’s tutorial here – http://wpsites.net/web-design/exclude-category-posts-page/. See if this will help you.

When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!
    Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!

timbarry
    Participant

That’s what I would expect. I’ll have a look at the tutorial, thanks.

timbarry
    Participant

I’ve had a look and only one of those solutions works.

It’s a bit frustrating as I didn’t want to spend so much time trying to sort something that should have just worked as it’s a key part of the framework.

Appreciate you trying to help.

Au Coeur
    Participant

Timbarry, do you have a post page selected under Settings -> Reading? If so, try unselecting it. Sometimes that can override the Genesis settings.

Mother. Web & Graphic Designer. Lactation Consultant. Blogging about how it all fits together, most recently from northern Colorado. Visit my blog or my design site.

Anita
    Participant

Since you are using a custom child theme, can you share what your functions.php file? Did you build the custom child theme off of a another child theme?

timbarry
    Participant

Hi Anitac,

Thanks for the replies.

It’s working now. Just using the options in the Genesis settings > Blog page template > Display which category – set to news. Left the others blank.

My only other preference would be to have a different sidebar for different single templates, but this is not a big one.

Tim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.