Genesis Training Classes

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Genesis Training Classes

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  netviper 2 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

netviper
    Participant

Does anyone do Genesis Training Classes?  I find Genesis very hard to use when you want to customize themes.  I dont understand all the hooks etc, or how I can make widgets on my homepage etc.  I would be nice to have an actual class to learn.

SoZo

I haven’t heard of anyone offering actual classes. Reading through Nick’s Genesis Explained series is the best place to start.

John “Nicolas Flamel” Wright | SoZo’s design| John Wright Photography

netviper
    Participant

I have read it, but it still doesn’t do it for me.

I am finding using Genesis is taking me longer to do a site than just an old template I used to use.

The documentation is not very good.  It is very simple.  But to really do anything you have to use all these hooks and actions etc, and I have no idea how to do that.

Just today I was trying to use the Generate theme and remove the posts and add a widget on the homepage.  After wasting an hour I gave up.

I bought Genesis because I thought it would help me build better, faster sites, but I am finding unless I want the site to basically be exactly like the child theme layout, it is very hard to use.

I want to love Genesis, but right now I just find it frustrating and I see no way to actually learn how to use what it can actually do other than a few tutrorials outside of the Genesis main website.  I mean, if it is so confusing that Nick had to make a series to explain it on his own site, why isn’t that kind of tutorial available from studiopress?

It feels like Genesis was really made for programmers, and that I am not. :(

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  netviper.
    • This reply was modified 2 years ago by  netviper.

Ozzy
    Participant

i found it to be difficult at the beginning, but once i started getting the hang of it, it’s amazing. i would suggest you stick to it as using any new framework is difficult, but the power that Genesis gives you is worth the time you’ll spend working with it.

i haven’t been working with Genesis too long, so i’m sure i’m just skimming the surface.

snakeair
    Participant

Have you seen this site which has video’s?

http://studiopress.tv/

netviper
    Participant

I have seen the studiopress.tv.  Its a great start.  I would like to see something more advanced.

B2Web
    Participant

I have a 15 video course on Genesis and a child you can access on my blog.  It’s the process I use to set up business websites.  I use the Genesis Framework and Enterprise child theme throughout.  Nothing too advanced though … it’s designed to get a site up and running.

B2Web: blog, Genesis video tutorials and general WordPress topics.

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

I was working on a video version of my Genesis Explained series at one point. I would be opposed to talking with someone if they were interested in making that series a reality.

netviper
    Participant

Hey Nick,

i would be happy to work with you on some ideas that could help the community.

najetsel
    Participant

I found Genesis confusing at first too and found Bill Erickson’s tutorial on how to create a child theme from scratch really useful. I finally “got” it after reading this and now I love genesis. Maybe it will help some.

http://www.billerickson.net/building-a-genesis-child-theme

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

Saw this on twitter just a bit ago. Might be worth looking into

http://t.co/NUY3B0Z2

netviper
    Participant

Great find Nick. Thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.