Genesis Update Question

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Genesis Update Question

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jgentry
    Participant

I think I know the answer to this, but for peace of mind I’ll ask. Will updating Genesis adversely affect my site (customizations, etc.)? The last framework I used, had me re-working everything after each update. This is my first update as a G user.

Thanks!

Susan

An upgrade to Genesis will not affect any customization you have done to your child theme. That’s part of the reason you should never touch core Genesis files – all changes to code etc., should be done to the child theme, so you can safely upgrade Genesis.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

essaysnark
    Participant

While what Susan says is true, there can still be unexpected behavior after the update that requires tweaking (as an example, in our most recent upgrade, we had to add code to functions.php since, as the support line told us, “Changes in Genesis 1.9 disabled the ability to make changes to the query using the grid loop function. This is because those changes have been known to cause significant issues.” We were surprised since we hadn’t seen any notice about this in the release notes (none that made sense to us at least!).

As with any upgrade, be sure to have a backup available before clicking that little button, and allocate some time to work through your site and check everything out. There can still be surprises.

Susan

Good advice, @essaysnark!

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Update Question’ is closed to new replies.