Genesis, WordPress and memory use

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Genesis, WordPress and memory use

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Andrewzy 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Andrewzy
    Participant

Hello from the UK!

I’ve been having problems with two Genesis based sites I run. Briefly, the web host has introduced a limit on CPU and memory use by sites installed on its basic shared hosting package.  I used to have a number of sites installed on the package as add-on domains, now with just one WordPress site and a small static HTML site I’m still getting problems. The host has advised me to upgrade to another hosting package which would cost in excess of US$40 a month, which is out of the question for me.

I have reduced plugins on the site to just 6, and the site itself – it’s at http://www.learnersupportonline.com – is overall pretty small.

I have received some advice via a support ticket about increasing the amount of memory that the site uses but I was wondering whether Genesis (or WordPress) sites are generally resource intensive.

Any advice would be very welcome – this is an intermittent problem which has used up a lot of my time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.  Andrew

Nick Davis
    Participant

Hi Andrew

Just my 2c but I would look into moving hosts which might not be the answer you want right now, but I can’t imagine any good reason why you should be spending time on reducing resources like this. There is nothing SO resource intensive about WordPress or Genesis (which is famously ‘lean’) to my knowledge that your host shouldn’t be able to handle.

I have a client that runs multiple sites on HostGator for example (which is cheap hosting) without issues (I don’t recommend them per say but to give you an example).

Personally I use WP Engine but there’s other dedicated WordPress hosts out there too. BlueHost is another cheap option but I would certainly recommended a dedicated WordPress host if you can (which BlueHost and HostGator are not).

Best of luck getting it sorted either way,

Nick

PS Exiled Brit here :)

Hi, I’m Nick and I love working on the Genesis Framework | Blog | Google+ | Twitter
    Co-founder @ Lean Themes | Custom websites / theme customisations @ eSanctuary

Andrewzy
    Participant

Many thanks for your thoughts Nick, I will take a look at the hosts you’ve mentioned. In the meantime I moved another site (connected with a spare time activity) to wordpress.com Hope you’re enjoying life in the USA, winter has returned here in Blighty with snow forecast for some areas over the next few days!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.