Genesis Workflow

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Genesis Workflow

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tom88 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Tom88
    Participant

I am trying to take a web design into the Genesis Framework using the Genesis sample child theme, I am old school, and use to a lot of coding by hand. Please share your current workflow from taking design into WordPress Genesis Framework, I am especially interested in if I have to do any PHP coding, or can I using the existing framework to modify the child theme to look like my design.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you,

nutsandbolts

Hi Tom,

You may need to use a bit of PHP, though you can usually find the snippets already written for you. For example, if you need to move one of the navigation menus above the header, change layouts on certain parts of the site, or alter the post meta, those things are easier to do via functions than CSS. You can get an idea of some of the snippets available here (definitely not an exhaustive list): http://my.studiopress.com/snippets/

Once you’re familiar with the Genesis hook system, you’ll have a pretty easy time making structural changes to fit the mockup you’re building. Here’s a visual hook guide that will help tremendously: http://genesistutorials.com/visual-hook-guide/

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Tom88
    Participant

Hi Andrea,

I appreciate your response about using the hook system, my design currently requires the navigation to be on the right of the logo and I am trying to figure out how to place the navigation to the left or right of the LOGO, and also be responsive, do you have any hints or tips placing Navigation around on a child theme. It looks like the hook is before or after the header.

Thank you,
    Tom

nutsandbolts

Generally, you can use a Custom Menu widget in the Header Right widget area to show a menu to the right of the logo. That widget area should be responsive already (assuming you’re using a responsive child theme).

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Tom88
    Participant

Yes, that worked! I appreciate your help, and resources.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.