Genesis WorkFlow

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Genesis WorkFlow

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nutsandbolts 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Tom88
    Participant

I am coming from a background of PSD to HTML, What is the workflow for designing within the Genesis Framework, and presenting a design to clients? Do you still create a design in PS, and than create a child theme with the slices? Do you select a blank theme, and use that one? Curious what everyone else is doing?

Thank you in advance?

nutsandbolts

I’ll spare you my lecture on Illustrator vs. Photoshop for now. :)

Personally, my strategy has always been to code first and make pretty later, so I don’t do mockups. (I spent a lot of years coding from scratch before WordPress existed, so that’s just my habit.) I talk with my clients in detail about how they want the site to look, then quickly throw together a test site (usually working from a skeleton child theme) and go from there. For me it’s just faster to work that way.

Many, many Genesis designers I know still do mockups and I applaud their patience. Some, however, are much better at creating mockups than coding. I’ve been hired many times to clean up a hacked together website that looked awful and didn’t function well. (Which just affirms my stubborn refusal to work from mockups.)

I think you’ll find a lot of diversity in how different people work, but it’s a really interesting question and I’m glad you asked it! Hopefully others will chime in with what works for them.

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.