Google Custom Search Vs. WordPress Native Search

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Google Custom Search Vs. WordPress Native Search

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

TeeRiddle
    Participant

Hi all!

I know this is a general WordPress question and not specific to Genesis, but I was hoping to get some dev opinions on this subject.

I have been debating whether to use the native WordPress search function on my site, or stick with the Google Custom Search I’ve been using. There are pros and cons of either one:

Google Custom Search

Pros

• Very good search results
    • Adsense implementation, if desired
    • Provides ability to track search terms used within Google Analytics

Cons

• search bar generally loads slowly due to javascript causing page speed issues

WordPress Native Search

Pros

• No javascript, so loads quickly

Cons

• No ability to track user search terms
    • Search results are not quite as good as GCS results
    • No Adsense implementation

Now, I could be wrong about some of my assumption here, just my opinion on what I’ve experienced using both. I’m not too worried about the AdSense really, because we are only talking a few cents per day.

What concerns me more is faster page load times and giving the user a better experience when they perform search on-site.

So, my question is – which search do you think is better to employ on a WordPress site?

Thanks!

http://www.beardeddragoncare101.com/

braddalton
    Participant

Google is far more accurate so i think there’s no comparison because the user will become more frustrated if the search returns non relevant results.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.