Google vs WordPress

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Google vs WordPress

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 18 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anahere 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Anahere
    Participant

I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask but I built a WordPress website for a client about four weeks ago and Google still won’t recognize it i.e. you can search for the company name and it sits on page two of results after all the crap directory sites. I’ve never had this before. My clients’ sites usually come up in a search for their business name within days.

I set up a webmaster tools account to see if I could find out why and saw that Google doesn’t notice any structured data when the site has definitely been optimized. Does this mean Google doesn’t recognize WordPress SEO?

I don’t feel that the SEO is the exact problem but it’s a place to start because I can’t find what the issue is or where to even start looking.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Anahere

http://gannaway.co.nz

AC
    Blocked

Is the client website the website URL you supplied here or is it different.

Anahere
    Participant

Hi, it is the one I provided – http://gannaway.co.nz

AC
    Blocked

When I type in Gannaway Mercer in Google – it comes up number one. What keywords are you using to search?

Anahere
    Participant

Using Gannaway Mercer, since that is what they want to come up for. When I search for that their Google listing comes up but their website is hidden at the bottom of page two. I’ve asked a number of friends to check and they get the same result, as does the client. So I am at a loss.

AC
    Blocked

Which Google are you using? Are you using Google US or Google NZ? It’s coming up as in the #1 spot for me. See image – https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzazup77i48ef30/gannaway%20mercer.png.

Anahere
    Participant

Google NZ – the screen grab you sent is for the Google Places listing. Go to page two and you will see the website listed at the bottom. That should not happen. They should come up under their own business name before any directory listing and next to their places listing.

AC
    Blocked

Did they have a WordPress website previously?

Anahere
    Participant

No, this is their first.

AC
    Blocked

That’s why – it’s still too new. Did you submit the URL to the search engines? Did you fill in the Genesis SEO information in the Genesis Settings?

Anahere
    Participant

Yes. Set up webmaster tools to get Google to fetch and to index. All SEO done – hence original question on why Google is not seeing that structured data via Webmaster. All my other clients were seeing their sites within days specifically using their company names (not general search terms). This has been almost four weeks so something is definitely wrong.

AC
    Blocked

Did you use your Feed to submit the site under Sitemaps in Google Tools?

Anahere
    Participant

I’m not sure what you mean by feed but I validated the site in Webmaster and added the XML site map as well. I used a plugin to get that code.

AC
    Blocked

Google pulls sites by time. If they didn’t have a website but were listed in all of those directories… basically those directories “trump” the domain name until such time as the new site can catch up. Google won’t just move it to page one just like that – length of time plays a part also.

Anahere
    Participant

I’ve built many new sites, including four of my own and never had this happen. They showed for the business name within days. It doesn’t make sense to have extremely poor directories and other sites that are scraping information to show above the actual company a person is looking for. Google typically would not do that. I appreciate your help but will keep looking.

I would still like to know why Webmaster does not recognise Genesis SEO structured data as that is an issue anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.