Grid style thumbnail view for category pages

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Grid style thumbnail view for category pages

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Jummul
    Participant

I know I’m number thousand to ask this. But I can’t figure it out. And it shouldn’t be to hard when I see it all over the web, right?

I’m trying to style my category pages so that they display the featured images from the posts in that category as thumbnails in grid view, with the post name under it.
    For example: http://www.abeautifulmess.com/projects-a-beautiful-mess-diy-index.html

I’ve tried every grid plugin and every downloadable page template, but I just can’t get the hang of it. Can anybody help me out? I do not want the fancy moves of the Post Tiles plugin for example, I just want titles and pictures :-)

braddalton
    Participant

Try this plugin http://wordpress.org/plugins/category-grid-view-gallery/

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Jummul
    Participant

Tried it. Next to the fact tat it didn’t work there was just oo much mumbo jumbo in the plugin. As I said, I just want pictures and titles. No lightbox or fancy borders :-)

braddalton
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback on the plugin.

What i would do is use the portfolio archive page from one of the child themes, (probably minimum) as a category archive page. http://demo.studiopress.com/minimum/portfolio/

Jummul
    Participant

hmm. Are there options that don’t require me to buy more? :-)

braddalton
    Participant

Yes. Brian Gardner has already written a post about it which includes the code. Sorry but i cannot find the page in Google.

Jummul
    Participant

Neither can I..

And is it possible to style the category pages in such a way that they only show post excerpts and thumbnails?

braddalton
    Participant

That’s easily done using the Genesis > Theme Settings > Content Archives

Jummul
    Participant

I tought so too. Onyl when I set content archives to “excerpt”, my blog itself also shows excerpts.

I want my blog to show full posts, and all the other pages to show excerpts..

braddalton
    Participant

You’d need a custom blog page template coded so your blog displays full posts and your category archives display excerpts.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.