Help needed for setting expiration on cacheable resources

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Help needed for setting expiration on cacheable resources

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  LORFca 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

LORFca
    Participant

Hello,

As soon as I installed the child theme, Decorated, my site became very sluggish. I ran site tests via tools.pingdom and discovered my cacheable resources (plug-ins, fonts, images,…) need expiration “dates”.

I’ve read *a little* about this (adding expires headers) but I am not a designer and know very little css, no javascript.

Is it true I must add something to my htaccess file? If possible I need the precise code to add to this file or suggestions on where I can find the code online.

I’ve put in a support ticket via the child theme site but haven’t heard anything yet. Just prior to purchasing and installing Decorated, I was using a free child theme with zero problems. I noticed many of the images tying up my site load are directly related to Decorated and I have to say, I’m pretty frustrated at this.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. All I truly want is a beautiful, fast efficient blog! Thank you!!

http://www.carriesheart.com

nutsandbolts

Pingdom shows that your site is loading in +/- 700ms right now with the free theme, which is extremely fast. However, without Decor8ted active, it’s impossible for us to see what might be causing the lag.

A good starting point for expires headers: http://www.paulund.co.uk/set-expire-headers-in-htaccess

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

LORFca
    Participant

I’m sorry, I couldn’t take the lag time any longer and switched back to the free child theme. This was actually a good opportunity for me to do some serious housework on my plug-ins :) I didn’t hear back from the Decorated child theme support (or my hosting service) so I gave up. I appreciate the link you provided. Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.