Help with a footer theme…

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Help with a footer theme…

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  liferightfoundation 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

liferightfoundation

Hi there.
    I am a newbie to coding (it scares the pants off me at the moment!) and I have added the 4-footer-widgets to my site (http://www.liferight.co.uk) and have repeated the text entry but it’s all gone over to the far left and not as the footer should be, i.e. in 4 columns of text, etc.

Can you please help me with something simplistic, perhaps very similar to the bottom of this page would be great.

Thank you for your help
    Phil

http://www.liferight.co.uk

nutsandbolts

Looks like your footer widgets need some styling! The function is working, but there aren’t any CSS rules to tell them how to look. This tutorial uses 3 footer widgets instead of 4, but it might be a good place to start since it includes some CSS: http://tech4sky.com/adding-footer-widget-genesis-easy/

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

liferightfoundation

Thanks Andrea. rather predictably it didn’t work! No doubt something I am doing wrong!
    I tried cutting and pasting the code, taking out all the line numbers (and also trying with them left in too) but it made no difference to the site :(
    [sighs]!

nutsandbolts

(1) Are you using a caching plugin or something like Cloudflare? (2) Did you go back and put widgets in the widget areas after you followed the tutorial?

I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

liferightfoundation

No [puzzled look!]
    The content was still in the widgets. Should I take it out and replace them?
    Thanks for your help… Feel a bit of a dummy!

nutsandbolts

No, that’s fine. If it’s still there, that’s a good thing. Sometimes it will take them out if you make changes to the way the function is written.

Did you try the 3 footer widgets instead of 4? That could be the problem – the code in the tutorial is for 3 columns, which I honestly think would be better since the Freelance child theme isn’t very wide.

liferightfoundation

I changed it to 3 so that the code would be correct…

nutsandbolts

Hmm, that’s strange. Did the widgets show up at all once the code was inserted?

liferightfoundation

They were already there, as I had put the widgets in first… but they all dumped the content over the left side.
    You were right about it needing styling!!

Might it be better to start from scratch?
    Thanks
    Phil

liferightfoundation

Hey Andrea, I took everything out and started again and it’s worked OK. I am happy it’s working although would have been happier to know what I was doing wrong!!
    Thank you for your help :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.