Hide Footer Widgeted Areas

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Hide Footer Widgeted Areas

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  YippyMomma 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

YippyMomma
    Participant

I’m using landscape.

I’d like to hide the three column footer widgeted area when they are not in use.

The default for the theme is to display the footer widgets with generic information when they are not customized. I simply want them to be hidden unless I have information in them.

buddy_boy8403
    Participant

Are you planning to hide them permanently? I know you said you only want them hidden if there is information in them, but I don’t think you can do that. To hide them permanently, just go into your child theme’s functions.php file and comment out the footer sidebar code.

YippyMomma
    Participant

No, I just don’t have anything to put into them right now.

Basically, I want it do to what the minimum theme the footer widgets do. In the minimum theme they do not display unless they are in use, so I utilized that code and it Does work. The footer widgets only show now when there’s content in them, but do not display properly. Instead of displaying as three columns with CSS properties it shows up as one column and a plain area without a background.

Jon Bellah
    Participant

In your functions.php file, there should be a line that reads:

[php]
    add_theme_support( ‘genesis-footer-widgets’, 3 );
    [/php]

Comment that line out by adding // to the beginning of the line. That way, if you ever want to add the footer widgets back, you can just uncomment the line.

Follow me on the Twitters at @JonBellah. I blog about web design, development and a lot about Genesis at CSSForge.com

wp guy
    Participant

As an extremely quick fix for that issue and if you don’t want to mess with the code, just drag a text widget into each footer widget and that’ll solve the issue. Obviously don’t put any info in the text widgets.

YippyMomma
    Participant

Thank you everyone!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hide Footer Widgeted Areas’ is closed to new replies.