Hiding/Removing unwanted pages

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Hiding/Removing unwanted pages

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jodzeee 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

eys
    Participant

By default WordPress pushes out a whole array of pages I don’t want or need - archive, author, blog, monthly, recent posts, categories, comments, attachment, taxenomies, search, search results, and probably a few others I’ve missed.

Most of the time I’m building regular broshure websites with no need for anything except a few fairly static pages. How do I get rid of all the other pages? Is there a plugin that will do this? Do I have to set up a dozen redirects in the .htaccess? I’ve tried searching, but all I find is how to hide parts of a page or similar.

Nick Davis
    Participant

Hi – I know that the WordPress SEO plugin by Yoast can kill a lot of those pages (i.e. redirect them and also hide them from search engines), I’m not sure off the top of my head if it can do that for every single one you mention but I’d consider that a good starting place:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-seo/

@NickCDavis. WordPress developer & Genesis fan boy living in Italy.
    Don’t want to set up your theme yourself? Try my new ThemeValet service.

eys
    Participant

@esanctuary: Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately it seems Yoast SEO isn’t compatible with the qTranslate plugin which I have to use, at least not without hacking the Yoast plugin. Also I’m not just looking to remove them from search results, I also want to remove any chance of entering the direct URL e.g.   domain.com/author/archive.php

jodzeee
    Participant

I’m also looking for a solution for hiding pages – particularly for archives. I’m using the Yoast plugin, but I think that’s just to hide from search engines. I’m trying to customize my 404 error page and want it to just show the pages in my navigation. I have several other pages (landing pages, sandbox pages, pages for only users who have the link, etc.) that I don’t want to show up.

Any ideas?

jodzeee
    Participant

I found this helpful:

http://wphacks.com/how-to-hide-individual-wordpress-pages/

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  jodzeee.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.