Home Page Balance Theme: Where are You?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Home Page Balance Theme: Where are You?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  nutsandbolts 2 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Good evening!
    I have been spending the day playing around creating pages, uploading plug-ins and was more or less ready to go but I couldn’t get it to look pretty. Noob warning up front.

Then I found the very helpful theme instructions, with the recommendation to upload the XML file so I could see what names went with what appearance in the page.

I made pages called About, Planning Cmte, Terms and Conditions and Contact Us. There was a fourth page that was called Welcome to Nurse’s Notebook which had very little on it, so I deleted it because I can’t figure out where the $#&^ home page is! I thought that since I had it listed as my front page, it was overriding the natural home page, but no. I have configured the home widgets, just as the instructions describe, but that mystery page is hiding! I don’t have “home” in the template list and don’t know where else to look.

I did pretty well installing CustomForm7 and the CAPCHA addition and got it in along with the Shareaholic, and I tested it all, so I am not totally incompetent ;-) and I have to figure that this is staring me right in the face and I just can’t see it.

Don’t care about the portfolio — just want the home.php ready to customize and then move on.

**How do I get a front page that I can configure with those widgets so it will look like the demo?***

I’ve sent aside tomorrow to load in a course I’ve written for which I am using LearnDash as my LMS — already loaded and ready to go.

Once I get the home thing fixed, I’ll just get rid of the other pages.

Thank you in advance for your patience! I will be back first thing in the AM.

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by  PatCarroll. Reason: tried to paste in a clip from the dashboard
    • This topic was modified 2 years ago by  PatCarroll. Reason: tried to paste in a clip from the dashboard

Hi there,

You were on the right track! I’m pretty sure that rather than choosing a static homepage, you should go to Settings>Reading and then on the very first question, “Front page displays:” choose “Your latest posts”. Then populate your widget areas and they should appear on the homepage.

Good luck!

That did it! Thanks! But, is there any way to have a static welcome front page or is the way the theme is structured incompatible with that?

I will not be blogging on this site — I am setting it up to offer courses with LearnDash. I suppose I could make the posts my initial content the way they are on the demo page, but am just wondering for moving forward if I can have static content with the demo balance home page layout.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Pat,

If you want to stop recent posts from appearing on your homepage, you will need to edit home.php.

I am not a php master by any stretch of the imagination, but I think I know what to do and want to help if I can. Before editing home.php, make sure you save a copy of it and that you have ftp access to the site so that you can re-upload the working copy if something goes wrong. (If there is an error in the php, you will get the dreaded white screen of death.)

The code below is what I believe needs to be deleted from home.php.

add_action( 'genesis_loop', 'child_grid_loop_helper' );
    /** Add support for Genesis Grid Loop **/
    function child_grid_loop_helper() {
    	if ( function_exists( 'genesis_grid_loop' ) ) {
    		genesis_grid_loop( array(
    			'features' => 1,
    			'feature_image_size' => 0,
    			'feature_image_class' => 'align none post-image',
    			'feature_content_limit' => 0,
    			'grid_image_size' => 'grid',
    			'grid_image_class' => 'align none post-image',
    			'grid_content_limit' => 0,
    			'more' => __( 'Continue reading...', 'genesis' ),
    			'posts_per_page' => 5,
    		) );
    	else {

So the last line of your code in home.php would be:

remove_action( 'genesis_loop', 'genesis_do_loop' );

Again, be sure you have a working copy of home.php in case something goes wrong. Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes :)

If you want to disable the widgetized homepage, instead of editing home.php, just rename it. I usually tell people to rename the file to something like home-old.php – that will keep the other theme files from being able to find it. Then you can set a static homepage instead of using the widget areas.

Andrea Whitmer, Owner/Developer, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide development and training services for designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.