Home Page Redirection to New Domain Name

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Home Page Redirection to New Domain Name

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SoZo 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

rwstowe
    Participant

I am moving my website to a new domain name for better branding. I have changed URLs on some of the pages for better SEO keywords. Most is working well so far. I have used the custom redirect URI (what does URI stand for?) field with success on all my pages and posts.

However, I don’t know how to implement a 301 redirect for the home page from the old domain to the new domain. I am open to doing this in .htaccess if it doesn’t interfere with the already successful redirects, but I a don’t know the basic syntax for a home page redirection. I am  not a programmer, so I would definitely prefer the most user friendly method.

I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.

SoZo

URI = Universal Resource Identifier

You’ll need to do it through the .htaccess file. Or you could try this plugin.

John “Nicolas Flamel” Wright | SoZo’s design| John Wright Photography

rwstowe
    Participant

Hi SoZo,

Thanks for your help. I found that latest version of Redirection plugin was reported to be not compatible with the latest version of  WordPress as of today and it appears to have unexpected results.

After doing a bit more googling, for some .htaccess commands, I did the following with apparent success:

In the WordPress section of the .htaccess file, I added the following line,

RewriteRule ^$ http://my-domain/ [R=301,L]

directly underneath,

RewriteEngine On

Now the home page seems to be redirecting to the new domain as desired. I don’t fully understand what the commands mean exactly.

I hope this helps someone else.

SoZo

You’re welcome :)

John “Nicolas Flamel” Wright | SoZo’s design| John Wright Photography

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Home Page Redirection to New Domain Name’ is closed to new replies.