home page widgets and hooks

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks home page widgets and hooks

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  AliKK 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

AliKK
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m running the eleven40 theme and I’ve run into a bit of trouble on the home page.  Here’s what’s going on.

I want my home page to function as a sales page of sorts.  So I’ve rendered the posts inactive and created a home page widget where I can enter my own content and insert the genesis responsive slider.

Now, this means everything I do is being placed in the widgets…which means when I try to stylize things with CSS, it’s being stripped out and not working (using the text widget).  I can’t seem to find a widget that doesn’t strip the css.

I wondered if using the simple hooks would help…but I can’t seem to find one specific to the home page.

So, I guess I’m asking if there is anything I can do  on the home.php page that would make it possible to insert html without using a widget.  If not, is there a widget that can be used that won’t strip the css.  If not, can I create a new/different home page that I could still insert the genesis responsive slider as a widget (full width), then treat the rest of the page like a normal page where css could be inserted?

Thanks

Jon Bellah
    Participant

AliKK,

A better route would likely be to use a custom page template. That will help you with customization, without you having to rely on widgets.

Here’s a basic shell you can use for a template.

[php]

<?php

/**
    * Template Name: Home Template
    */

remove_action( ‘genesis_loop’, ‘genesis_do_loop’ );
    add_action( ‘genesis_loop’, ‘child_home_template’ );

function child_home_template() { ?>

<!– INSERT YOUR HTML HERE –>

<?php

}

genesis();

[/php]

Save the file to your child theme folder (name it something like home-template.php), then go into the Home page in WordPress and set the template to “Home Template” and voila.

Follow me on the Twitters at @JonBellah. I blog about web design, development and a lot about Genesis at CSSForge.com

AliKK
    Participant

Hi.  Thanks.  I’m not clear on how to set the template the Home Template.  Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.