How do I add a text area in Outreach theme?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion How do I add a text area in Outreach theme?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  brazeau 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

brazeau
    Participant

I am using the Outreach theme for my site at http://www.modernfirefighter.com, and I want to add text, posts, etc between the slider and the white bar that shows four different categories. How can I do this?

In Dashboard > Widgets: it appears it would go between “Home Featured” (which is where I have the responsive slider) and “Home #1″ (Which is where I have my “Hiring Process” section); however, there is not a section for me to add anything. How can I add another area between those to sections?

I’ve tried adding a text widget in the “Home Featured” section below the slider widget, but it expands the border of the slider and looks bad. I would like to keep the slider as is with the current border and be able to expand the black area between the slider and the white area with the four sections starting with “Hiring Process” and ending with “Physical Fitness Tests.”

This way there would be the black background with some text (white, grey, etc) on it between the bordered slider above and the big white area with those sections below.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Brad

http://www.modernfirefighter.com

Anita
    Participant

If you want to add content above the 4 widget areas and below the slider, you will need to register new sidebars and add the styling to them.

When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!
    Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me!

braddalton
    Participant

This is the code you would use.http://www.briangardner.com/welcome-text-widget/

You would need to modify it to output on your home page only and modify the CSS code for the color changes. Or change the class so it displays the background you want.

Another option is to hard code it into your home.php file.

Change the class for the new widget or modify the CSS which uses that class.

Example: [php]‘before’ => ‘<div class="welcome-text widget-area">’[/php]

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

braddalton
    Participant

You can also change the hook and 3rd parameter for positioning priority in your home.php file.

Example:
    [php]
    add_action( ‘genesis_loop’, ‘outreach_welcome_text’, 15 );
    [/php]

Note: This code uses the old Genesis XHTML hooks.

genesis_loop is the hook and 15 is the priority for positioning in that hook position.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

brazeau
    Participant

Thank you guys! I appreciate the replies and advice. I will give those a try tomorrow. I’m not a coder, so this is all foreign to me, but I’ll see if I can figure out where to add or change out the code. I will probably write more clarification questions after I start playing with it! lol

Thanks!
    Brad

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.