How do I create a Child Theme with Homepage?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion How do I create a Child Theme with Homepage?

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gary Designs 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Gary Designs
    Participant

Dear Forum,

I would like to create a Child Theme that looks and functions just like the default “Genesis Theme”  (header, sidebar, footer, css, etc…)  but with a  “Homepage Template” so I can add a Slideshow to ONLY the homepage.

I have searched through the online documentation but can only find pieces to this puzzle, but not a step-by-step tutorial from start to finish.  Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gary

Jared Williams
    Participant

Most Genesis Child Themes that display a custom home page contain a home.php file in the theme folder. Create that file and add your code.

Additionally, you may be able to set the homepage to a static page that already contains your Slideshow. Look under Settings –> Reading

Gary Designs
    Participant

Thanks Jared,

And can you direct me to the [PHP Snippets] that I can use to insert into my new Home.php template that will load the (Header, Sidebar & Footer)?

As in the default Genesis page & blog templates I only see  this —-> genesis();  —> so I am not sure what file this  is calling the (Header, Sidebar & Footer) from?

Many thanks,
    Gary

Gary Designs
    Participant

RE:  Adding Widget Areas

———–

Do I need  to create a new [functions.php] as well for my new Child Theme (home.php) in order to register new “Widget Areas” ?

Many thanks,
    Gary

varickdesign
    Participant

There is a whole bunch of ways to code that home.php. Other than a slider is there anything else you are looking for on the home.php?

Gary Designs
    Participant

Yes on Home.php, in addition to the Genesis Slider,  I need to be able to include the (Header, Sidebar, Footer)

And then register 2 new Widget Areas in  order to display Featured Posts, similar to this theme’s home.php (http://demo.studiopress.com/lifestyle/)

Many thanks,

Gary

Gary Designs
    Participant

And I  want to use the same CSS stylesheet for the new Child Theme as the default Genesis Theme, as I like this layout.

Thanks,

Gary

Jared Williams
    Participant

Bill Erickson published a great article on How To Build A Genesis Child Theme. He uses the front page function.

There are so many ways to do this and I would start by reading this. Bill is awesome and knows his stuff!

Gary Designs
    Participant

Awesome!   Many thanks  :-)

Gary

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.