How Do I Display Excerts in Search Results?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion How Do I Display Excerts in Search Results?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Chu 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

tjubb
    Participant

Currently my search results at http://www.scannebytes.com  appear as full posts.  Not very helpful if you have to scan alot of material.  I’d like search results as excerpts or even just the title.  Would also be nice to have the thumbnail appear next to the excerpt as well but it’s not critical.

Similarly,  I would like excerpts to appear on archive pages as well.

I am currently using the Metro child theme.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I’m looking at the search.php file but nothing obvious is jumping out at me on what to change.

Thanks,

Tom

http://www.scannerbytes.com

David Chu
    Participant

Hi,
    Take a look at: Genesis… Theme Settings…. Content Area. If the settings reads “Display Post Content”, that’s the likely explanation, especially in view of this fine print:

These options will affect any blog listings page, including archive, author, blog, category, search, and tag pages.

If that’s not it, then probably geek required to do some programming.

When I’m reading a blog, I never want to see whole Posts in an archive or on a Home page. I don’t want to scroll that much to find an interesting article, and I’ll just plain miss stuff if the page is too long. But some of my clients like it and insist on it. :-)

Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

tjubb
    Participant

Thanks, that fixes the Archives, now to figure out the search results!

David Chu
    Participant

Ah, bummer! Each of these themes is slightly different. But I just did a site with Metro, and its searches are excerpted. Under Settings… Reading, you could try checking “Summary” under “For each article in a feed…”, and see if that does it.

Beyond that, hard to say without examining code, looking at plugins, etc.

Dave

tjubb
    Participant

Thanks, that fixed the search page!  Wonderful!  I figured that would have changed the rss feed formatting but it does not.   Thanks again!

David Chu
    Participant

Wow, very cool!

Genesis aside, WP search and RSS are somewhat gnarly to handle. There are some good Genesis search filters that can be found in your tutorial area here if programming is to your taste. Beyond that, there are bunches of plugins that may help for that sort of thing!

Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.