How do I make my site wider & not mess things up?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion How do I make my site wider & not mess things up?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

adamwc
    Participant

I recently switched from the In(spyr) theme to the News 2.0 theme. I love the design of it, but the primary content section is just a little narrower than my previous theme, and I wish I could increase it to the new 1140px width that some of StudioPress’s themes are coming in.

I tried to go in and make the changes from a 960px but that messed up all the Responsive elements of the design…can someone walk me through what lines in the CSS I would need to change to go from 960px to 1140px, specifically how to keep the awesome responsive elements of the design?

AC
    Blocked

Did you change the width of also in the responsive section?

adamwc
    Participant

Well, I tried to figure that out – but it’s not really clear what dimensions I should be using, or what I need to be adding/taking away from the CSS when I want to widen the page.

Cleo3
    Participant

I’ll take this a step farther and say that it would be really helpful if we could come up with a list somewhere of exactly what needs to be changed on every genesis child them (or at least the responsive ones) in order to successfully change the width.  Maybe we’d have to give a relevant range of sizes?  It seems like I never have a project that this doesn’t come up and it would be a resource we ought to be able to compile all in one place – here or somewhere.

jw30
    Participant

I agree. I’d like to shorten the width of Quottro for a project. We need a quick reference guide.

Susan

what I need to be adding/taking away from the CSS when I want to widen the page.

This mark-up guide doesn’t help with theme responsiveness, but it will point you in the right direction of what you should be looking at changing if you want to make changes to the width of your site:

http://my.studiopress.com/docs/visual-markup-guide/

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.