How do I set home page widget areas on additional pages in OUTREACH PRO?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks How do I set home page widget areas on additional pages in OUTREACH PRO?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

brightisland
    Participant

I’m working with OUTREACH PRO right now to build a website for an author.

The theme is fantastic, and I’ve already done plenty of customizations, but one thing I’d really like to be able to do is get three pages in addition to the home page to display the home page widgets.

She writes ghost, pirate and travel themed books, so she wants the home page to have the four widgets across the page to lead site visitors to one of those areas or her bookstore.

I would then need the ghost page, the pirate page and the travel page to also have space for those same widget areas so they can drill down further on those. I wouldn’t need any other pages to have that option — just those three, and the home page.

I thought just using the widget visibility function of Jetpack would work, but it doesn’t seem to.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Sara

braddalton
    Participant

They are hard coded into the front-page.php file.

I wrote about how to do this a while ago.

If you want to use the same widget content, no need to register new widgets. Simply hook them in using the same widget i.d, class and hook.

brightisland
    Participant

Sorry I’m slow to respond to this. Just started working on this project again a couple of days ago.

I found your tutorial on this topic, and it is really helpful.

I’m only left with one question — and this was the case on the home page before I ever even implemented your code tweaks — but why does the four-across layout only seem to work when using the Genesis Featured Page widget, but not other widgets? Is that an issue with my CSS? I’d like to use the Image Widget to use four widgets across the page as big image buttons to go to category pages. Is there a way to do that?

Thank you so much for your help!

Sara

braddalton
    Participant

Different widget require different CSS.

brightisland
    Participant

Another question — and this is specific to your tutorial.

Why is the theme no longer recognizing Content-Sidebar as the theme default for posts?

I only want these widget areas on pages, but for some reason, even when I try to set the theme default layout to Content-Sidebar in Genesis theme settings, it keeps going back to full width.

Or maybe the better question is, how would I fix this issue? I am really pretty ignorant on tweaking php.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  brightisland.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  brightisland.

braddalton
    Participant

The CSS includes classes for styling specific widgets and not anything you populate in the widget areas.

If you have a question about my code, please ask it on the post on my site. Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.