How to add a widget area to the navbar

Community Forums Forums General Discussion How to add a widget area to the navbar

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  AC 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

vexx
    Participant

Hey guys,

I’m new to Genesis and trying to learn the ropes. Brad already opened my eyes a bit and I started to understand this framework….so excuse my noobness :)

Anyway, I’m trying to add a search form on the navbar (right side float)..since on the left side I have a bunch of menus. While this was a piece of cake in normal WP, I can’t seem to understand how I do this under Genesis. I registered a new widget area..but I kinda got stuck into placing it on the navbar. Where is the sidebar “template” and how can I add the hook there is actually my problem..I think

I appreciate any pointers you guys can give me.

Andrea Rennick
    Keymaster

There’s a setting to add a search box on the nav bar that is built in.

Go to Genesis -> Settings -> Navigataion. Enable the nav extras. pick the search box from the drop down.

**forum signature**
    If you need technical support for your theme please file a ticket.

The forums are community based. Staff only monitors the forum for issues relating to the forum itself and to redirect users to where they need to go.

Twitterholic

vexx
    Participant

I know about that one..however, that setting if for the primary navbar..and my child theme has 2 navbars, a primary and a secondary..the secondary is where I want this custom search field.

Andrea Rennick
    Keymaster

The secondary nav menu has no hook on the right side to add anything.

**forum signature**

The forums are community based. Staff only monitors the forum for issues relating to the forum itself and to redirect users to where they need to go.

Twitterholic

vexx
    Participant

I know..but I’m sure one can be added …if only I would knew where :) That’s why I posted

Andrea Rennick
    Keymaster

No, I’m saying you *can’t*. ;) There is none.

You need to switch it with the primary nav, or unregister the secondary nav and add your own.

You can;t add hooks. You *use* hooks. The core framework provides the hooks for your use.

**forum signature**

Twitterholic

AC
    Blocked

You can use Nick’s Nav Menu Amplified to add a search box to the secondary menu – http://designsbynickthegeek.com/plugins/genesis-nav-menu-amplified.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.