How to Define Page-specific CSS

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks How to Define Page-specific CSS

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BrightTribe 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

BrightTribe
    Participant

What’s the proper syntax if I want to define page-specific styles?

For example, I want the blockquote to show up using a theme’s default layout on the entire site except one page.  So what’s the syntax if I want to define blockquote for only one page?  I thought it was something like this:

DEFAULT:

blockquote {
    margin: 10px;
    }

SPECIFIC PAGE:

#pagename blockquote {
    margin: 10px 30px;
    }

Thanks for the help!

Brian Dempsey, Bright Tribe, Inc.
    info@brighttribe.com | 678-267-3267

braddalton
    Participant

Use the post or page i.d from the source code or create a custom class using the Layout Settings

page-id-4289

BrightTribe
    Participant

I’m sorry, Brad, but I don’t know what you just said.  I know there is a way to code the style sheet to be page specific.  Can you give me an example of the proper syntax using the page name?

braddalton
    Participant

Here’s some examples of block quotes. http://css-tricks.com/examples/Blockquotes/

You can add this code to your child themes style.css file and use a custom body class to display them on a specific page or post. Or you can change the post i.d by finding your own in the source code of the page you want to add the styling to.

[css]
    .postid-37680 blockquote:before, blockquote p {
    margin: 1em 3em;
    color: #999;
    border-left: 2px solid #999;
    padding-left: 1em;
    background: #f3f3f3;
    }
    [/css]

Further Reading http://www.studiopress.com/design/how-to-use-block-quotes.htm

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_blockquote.asp

You need to a add a specific post i.d or create a custom body class to change the styling of block quotes on a specific page.

BrightTribe
    Participant

How do I do it if I need to define a style on the homepage?

braddalton
    Participant

Some friendly advice Brian.

Install Firebug and WordPress on your local computer so you can test and modify your code.

You could also install a plugin which adds CSS effects and other styling so you don’t need to code.

BrightTribe
    Participant

I use the Inspect Element feature of Chrome every day that does the same thing.  I’m quite proficient with CSS, but I didn’t know the syntax in WordPress to make a style page-specific or how to find the page ID for the homepage.  For years all we did was enterprise level JSP work, and I’m much more of a marketing / creative guy who is doing WordPress.  Thanks for the help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.