How to do a Full WordPress Backup and Migration from Old Host to New Host

Community Forums Forums General Discussion How to do a Full WordPress Backup and Migration from Old Host to New Host

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

citidm
    Participant

Hello,

I just wanted to know what is the best way to do a full wordpress backup of the database and files before migrating to a new web host?

I am changing from a shared account to a VPS with a new host and want to make sure I transfer everything properly.

Thanks for your help in advance.

citidm
    Participant

Note I also want the Posts and Pages. Is that included with a wordpress backup?

HelenaB
    Participant

Personally I’d recommend a plugin called Duplicator. http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I build clients’ sites on my own webserver and when they’re ready I use Duplicator to copy the whole thing including the database and then upload it to the new hosting account. It ensures that the new site goes up really quickly.

All you need to do is set up a database on the new hosting account and make a note of the username, password and db name.

Use Duplicator to create a copy of your existing site (one click operation – creates the copy file and an installer file that you download to your computer).

Upload the copy file and the installer file via FTP to the new hosting account.

Browse to the installer file using your browser and paste in the database info in the various text fields.

That’s pretty much it.

I’ve used it dozens of times now – I’ve had problems with it maybe once due to an odd server configuration.

braddalton
    Participant

I like BackupBuddy or WP Migrate DB which offers a free and premium version.

Some hosts offer a free migration service .

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Pam Hirsch
    Participant

I also use BackupBuddy from iThemes. It works perfectly for the case you are asking about and I’ve also used it myself when my own site was hacked.

Documentation on the plugin’s use is excellent and it’s easy to use. There are different licenses that you can purchase.

spoll
    Participant

Best I came across for a newbie was this:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-clone-by-wp-academy/

incredibly simple and it worked.

citidm
    Participant

Cool, thanks everyone. I also found a way to do it in phpMyAdmin. By using the export tab and checking off the proper boxes and it then generates a sql file. There are apparently a bunch of ways to do this.

I always thought just using ftp and downloading from the hosting server would be enough. Guess not.

braddalton
    Participant

That’s right. You need to copy files and a database.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.