How To Get TABS in Education Theme

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks How To Get TABS in Education Theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 22 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  CharlieSeymourJr 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

David Chu
    Participant

Jeanne,
    Charlie’s jumping the gun here… I had to make a lot of changes to make dropdowns work up there…. geek required! So I’d suggest keeping the single level up there. :-)

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

mrsnoorman
    Participant

Alright guys, I changed the number of tabs to just 3 and the problem still exists.  Now what?  www.jeannenoorman.com  (And yes, my name is completely there when I remove the tabs.)

Dave, I have some very basic html knowledge, but don’t have a clue where to put the code you suggested.  That is why I purchased Genesis and Education.

Would this be something to put in a help ticket for?  (Not sure how that works either.)

Thanks,

Jeanne

David Chu
    Participant

Jeanne,
    Go to Appearance… Editor. That takes you to a screen where you’ll be editing style.css. But my bits of code in there, and save.

Dave

mrsnoorman
    Participant

Thank you Dave.  I found the specific coding and just changed the widths to the ones you had suggested.  And it worked!  :)  Thank you so much!

The drop down menus seem to be working in the tabs too!

So, do you know anything about using the sliders in the homepage?  I have a forum question on that as well.  Titled Education Homepage.

I had a wordpress site with a static homepage before I purchased Education.  Because of that, when I uploaded Education it defaulted to the static homepage without the sliders.  Any hints on how to put them up?

Thanks again!

And Charlie, I wish you the best of luck!

Blessings to both of you!
    Jeanne

David Chu
    Participant

Jeanne,
    You’re welcome. Interesting question about the slider. The simple answer is that a slider can be placed anywhere, in theory.

But the huge theme trend now is to have a big fancy homepage that’s essentially a landing page, and significantly different from regular page templates. So the coder makes a big old homepage template, and if they didn’t make an obvious place to put the slider, the neophyte may not know what to do.

Looking at Education, it could be the cleverly named “Slider” widget, or one of the 3 other homepage widgets, as long as the slider you have is widgetized. :-) But if you’re referring to using one above the static homepage, you may need to try a slider’s shortcode in the homepage content. Beyond that, possibly geek required.

Dave

surfpeople
    Participant

I see this is an old post and I also see that your menu still hasnt been solved, (or has it?) I have just purchased Education and the menu tabs you talk of is simple really.
    Create a custom menu and call it header nav, (or anything that you want)
    Got to the widgets menu and add the custom menu to the header widget.
    That’s the easy bit, now you need to use CSS to make it look like the demo.
    I’m about to style mine the same way, so I’ll post back here soon with what styles to add.
    Unless you dont need it any more
    Lee

surfpeople
    Participant

Update
    If you follow the above post the CSS is already styled so it works as per the demo.

http://easywebbuilder.com.au/testserver/amds/home/

CharlieSeymourJr
    Participant

@surfpeople Thanks, Lee, for caring so much to write me. Deeply appreciated.

Believe me, I’ve tried everything. I must have a plugin in conflict with something here because I never could get those tabs to work – and they LOOK great!

But… on a smartphone, they may not be the best way to go. So… I’ve stuck with a standard menu because being responsive and looking good on a smartphone (and tablets) is real important to me.

You’re terrific to write. Thanks so much!

Charlie

PS: And Oh…. since “normal mortals” don’t know how to code and don’t want to bother with CSS, I always look for a solution that doesn’t require it. It still amazes me that StudioPress and Genesis can be as successful as it is with so many twists and turns required. Have us use widgets: yes. Have us code and edit code: sure doesn’t sit well with me.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.